Does a hole in the top of a bench qualify?

Frank Pellow

One of the handiest things in my shop is a hole, that's right a hole.

About 20 years ago, I built the bench shown below leaving a supported hole in the top.

Veritas Hold-Down used in sawing of clamp rack -small.JPG

That hole comes in really handy for lots of things such as cutting patterns with a jig saw. I drilled some ¾ inch holes in the bench top for use with Veritas hold-down clamps so that I can more easily clamp work over the hole.

Last edited:
Frank,
I’ve admired that hole in your bench since you posted it in another watershed.

About 25 years ago I built a 4 ft, x 8 ft bench with a 2 ft square hole centered on one half. I used the bench for oxy acetylene cutting and electric welding. I think I will incorporate a narrow hole like you have done in my next bench.

Good idea.

Frank Chaffee

Frank,

How often do you have to pull one of your tools out of the box? or do you have a cover for it when not in use? Looks like a good thing, cutting over the edge can be a pain.

Ken

Frank, that is an ingenious idea! Seems to me that most of the good ones are "why didn't I think of that?" dead simple...

I remember years ago Andy Griffith doing a comedy routine about buying a new pair of shoes that hurt his foot in one spot and so he just cut a hole in the shoe where it hurt. He said that the hole was the best part of the whole shoe.

Looks like that you are just a smart as he is. Just cut a hole where it needs to be. Could be the best part of the whole bench.