My first Cherry bowl........

Stuart Ablett

.........OK, I popped this roughed out bowl on the lathe today around noon, I really did not expect to get down to the Dungeon again until next year, but today, Sunday, I had some early morning delilveries (we usually do not deliver on Sunday) and then we expected the MILFH to open the shop early, as it is Christmas Eve, but she did not, so I got a few hours in the Dungeon :headbang:

Christmas_cherry 004.jpg

Christmas_cherry 005.jpg

Christmas_cherry 006.jpg

Christmas_cherry 007.jpg

Christmas_cherry 008.jpg

Maybe about 6" across?

Boy is this stuff a lot more fun to turn than concrete............ah, I mean Keyaki

The roughed tenon was too small :eek:, so I made a recessed one.

Well what do you think?

Cheers!

Hi Stu,

Very nice bowl. Did that wood come from a certain guy in Ohio? Cherry is nearly my favorite wood to turn. I love the smell. And, ambrosia maple is one of my least favorites (smells like cow flop). Great job Stu!

Hi Chris

Nope this stuff came out of one of my wood runs up to my buddy Jim's place, first of about 15 I have roughed out drying after the DNA soak.

Cheers!

Very attractive. Similar question: Is that cherry the same wood as we would know it in North America or something else?
BTW, you make a lot of nice bowls, do you sell them in your store?

Thanks Russ

Yeah, I bought the one from Beal, with the drill bit, and shipping it was still less than half price, compared to buying one here :thumb: AND it got here sooner than if I'd bought it local too :D

Frank, thanks, I do not sell anything, yet, I think I will start in the new year, until now I've just littered the house with bowls :rolleyes: and or we have given them away.

I hope to sell some, would be nice to get some money back and prove to my wife that they are saleable!

Cheers!

Hi Stu,

That doesn't look like any cherry I've ever seen before:huh: . Cherry is definitely my favorite to turn. Your cherry sure has a lot of character going on in it.
Ya done good:thumb: .

Well it looks a lot more like cherry than the other stuff that I was told was cherry (Sakura) but who knows.

This tree had some sickness in it too, so that can account for the extra color I guess. They have something like 350 kinds of ornimental cherry here in Japan.

Cheers -- The Christmas Kind!:thumb: