Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fisherman or boat man relief

Fisherman or boat man relief

Ok. Guys, It's been a while since I posted some pics of a project of mine due to my wrists problem. Today I can say that I'm close to complete recovery although the tips of my index and midle fingers of both hands are still insensitive. So I can't tell (yet) if a gouge is sharp or not by running a finger tip on its edgeUnless I wait for the blood to appear eeeek!)

When I was able to hold a tool I started to make some carvings to brush up my technique and to kill the blues, at the beginning I could only work for about 10 minutes before feeling pain and having to let it go. Now I can work for about 1 - 2 hours and I know when I have to stop.

Anyway, I started carving from a picture this fisherman or boat man holding an oar , it is not finished yet, there is still quite a bit to do on it but as it is coming out better than I expected I decided to post it together with some pics of the evolution.

Please excuse me the bad quality of pics and ligthing, that is a skill that I have to learn still The last four or five ones is the same stage with different ligthing (and most of them out of focus my apologies)

Coments and suggestions welcome
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fishman01.jpg   fishman02.jpg   fishman03.jpg   fishman04.jpg   fishman05.jpg  

fishman06.jpg   fishman07.jpg   fishman08.jpg   fishman09.jpg   fishman10.jpg  

Last edited by Toni Ciuraneta; 12-05-2008 at 06:32 PM.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

I am impressed! I always admired people that have some artistic skill and can carve. I simple do not have the skills to do that.

Again, very nice!
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Thanks Jeff, I'm also impressed by your kayaks! so we are breaking even
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

well i was wondering where yu had went? now we know looks good toni, as for the sensitivity in your fingers,, can you take and use your sharpend tool on a piece of scrap to check it before you commit to using it on your projects. another idea is i take and test my arrow heads on my thumb nail if they catch and dont slide off they are close theni try t shave hair on arm if they cut hair there ready no feel involved that way.. they cut or they dont.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    as for the sensitivity in your fingers,, can you take and use your sharpend tool on a piece of scrap to check it before you commit to using it on your projects. another idea is i take and test my arrow heads on my thumb nail if they catch and dont slide off they are close theni try t shave hair on arm if they cut hair there ready no feel involved that way.. they cut or they dont.
    Yeah Larry! that is what I did, but my wife doesn't like me having those bald patches on my arms. " It looks as if you have scabbies" she says and if I try them on my legs I have to pull my trousers' legs up each time
    Best regards,
    Toni

Beautiful !

Excellent work Toni ! I'm with Jeff in that I admire your skill and talent. I have not really tried carving yet but would like to some day.

I also like your holding system-the double wedges.

Sorry to hear about your wrist trouble, but happy you are doing better. Give it time and don't overwork them. The sensatiom may come back but can take a very long time.
    Don Orr

Woodturners make the World go ROUND

Good to hear you are recovering, Toni. Is that blood on #1?

Very impressive carving. I'm sure wherever it goes, it will be displayed for many-many years.
    The hands are particularly excellent. Hands are very difficult to get right. Many (most?) carvers cannot get the proportions correct. Yours look real.
    Last edited by Frank Fusco; 12-05-2008 at 06:49 PM. Reason: typo

Toni
    Very nice job
    I really like it. Wonderful
    fingers of left hand.
    They seems real.
    Alfredo

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Good to hear you are recovering, Toni. Is that blood on #1?

Very impressive carving. I'm sure wherever it goes, it will be displayed for many-many years.
    The hands are particularly excellent. Hands are very difficult to get right. Many (most?) carvers cannot get the proportions correct. Yours look real.
    Thanks Frank! Of course it is not blood! it is red pencil as you already know but your coment made me laugh thanks for it. Yes the hands were difficult but my main difficulty now are the eye and the lips, I'm on that point where either I could make them better ( if I do it well ) or just make a mess, so I'm very, very, careful before taking any decision and put a tool on them
    Best regards,
    Toni

Very nice, Toni.

I like the veins detail on the back of the hand.