Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How long exactly are you a woodworker?

new york city burbs

How long exactly are you a woodworker?

Not counting time when you were a kid, unless you were actually being trained at a young age.
    Im really curious, just wanting to see whos got wood running through their veins instead of blood.

Rhode Island
    I've only started doing anything with wood when I started turning about 1 yr ago. So I have almost no equipment & am slowly acquiring some.

Sacramento, CA
    I have been a woodworker all my life.

I was finally able to be a PRACTICING woodworker 5 years ago (almost to the day!) when I finally got a home with enough space for an actual shop. Before that all I could do was with a drill, jigsaw and maybe a couple of sanding blocks.

I've always been a tinkerer, though, and would long to work with my hands as far back as I can remember.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

since about 8y/o......professionally well over 20yrs
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Constantine, MI
    On and off (mostly off) about 25 years, when I had room. Most of the time I had little or no shop to work from and equipment was in storage (are you listening Ned?) For the past 8 years or so I've been trying to get more and more done in the shop, but life keeps getting in the way.
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

DSM, IA
    I've been around it my whole life, but got started on my own somewhat around 2000 with a few tools and then started to spin wood in Dec. 2006...been addicted ever since.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Funny thing...I took up woodworking in high school (1988) and pretty near flunked out. I used a hand plane so badly it was the first time the instructor said he had to use the tablesaw to straighten it out. I swore I would never touch wood and instead work with steel as a machinist/welder.

Just after high school though, I began building my house. I was only 19, borrowed a radial arm saw and proceeded to try and build cabinets for my house. I thought they looked good, but they were pretty bad. Still though I started to see that I liked working wood. Pretty soon I started making wooden models for people. Then my Grandfather got sick (2000) and had to give up his tools. With more tools, more wood and some time I was able to really expand my woodworking.

Now 20 years later I like to merge both wood and steel. I do this at work building boats and at home building handplanes.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Kansas City, Missouri
    Used to nail stuff up at my Dad's job sites with scrapwood when I was 6 (probably before, but don't remember much before that). I think shop class was the only classes I consistantly got 'A's in. I've built and remodeled houses most of my life now, so going on about 30+ years. I'm a programmer by trade, but even that seed got planted in shop class in HS doing cad work.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

RETIRED(!) in Austintown, Ohio
    Since I started in 4-H with a birdhouse project. I was 10 or 11. I'm 63 now.
    Jim D.

Floydada, Tx
    When I was 12 my uncle started showing me how to make cabinets and hhow to install trim. Sahop class was my favorite subject in school, but as with life I drifted away from it untill about 4 years ago.Now I do mostly refinishing and some new peices if someone is willing to pay.