Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How long exactly are you a woodworker?

How long exactly are you a woodworker?

Not counting time when you were a kid, unless you were actually being trained at a young age.
    Im really curious, just wanting to see whos got wood running through their veins instead of blood.

I've only started doing anything with wood when I started turning about 1 yr ago. So I have almost no equipment & am slowly acquiring some.

I have been a woodworker all my life.

I was finally able to be a PRACTICING woodworker 5 years ago (almost to the day!) when I finally got a home with enough space for an actual shop. Before that all I could do was with a drill, jigsaw and maybe a couple of sanding blocks.

I've always been a tinkerer, though, and would long to work with my hands as far back as I can remember.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

since about 8y/o......professionally well over 20yrs
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

On and off (mostly off) about 25 years, when I had room. Most of the time I had little or no shop to work from and equipment was in storage (are you listening Ned?) For the past 8 years or so I've been trying to get more and more done in the shop, but life keeps getting in the way.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

I've been around it my whole life, but got started on my own somewhat around 2000 with a few tools and then started to spin wood in Dec. 2006...been addicted ever since.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Funny thing...I took up woodworking in high school (1988) and pretty near flunked out. I used a hand plane so badly it was the first time the instructor said he had to use the tablesaw to straighten it out. I swore I would never touch wood and instead work with steel as a machinist/welder.

Just after high school though, I began building my house. I was only 19, borrowed a radial arm saw and proceeded to try and build cabinets for my house. I thought they looked good, but they were pretty bad. Still though I started to see that I liked working wood. Pretty soon I started making wooden models for people. Then my Grandfather got sick (2000) and had to give up his tools. With more tools, more wood and some time I was able to really expand my woodworking.

Now 20 years later I like to merge both wood and steel. I do this at work building boats and at home building handplanes.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Used to nail stuff up at my Dad's job sites with scrapwood when I was 6 (probably before, but don't remember much before that). I think shop class was the only classes I consistantly got 'A's in. I've built and remodeled houses most of my life now, so going on about 30+ years. I'm a programmer by trade, but even that seed got planted in shop class in HS doing cad work.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Since I started in 4-H with a birdhouse project. I was 10 or 11. I'm 63 now.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

When I was 12 my uncle started showing me how to make cabinets and hhow to install trim. Sahop class was my favorite subject in school, but as with life I drifted away from it untill about 4 years ago.Now I do mostly refinishing and some new peices if someone is willing to pay.