Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Compresser Problems

Air Compresser Problems

I have a 2 horse moter that drives a two cylinder air compresser. I have it over head in my garage. Takes up less space that way,and I just pipe the air through the wall into my shop. The other day,all of a sudden while working on a cabinet. I noticed that the compresser would not shut off. After looking closley at it from a step ladder,I found a hole in the bottom of the tank. It is much to heavy to lift down all assembled. so I took off motor and compresser also electrical and air lines. Checking the price of a replacement tank $$$$$
    Looking at cost of a new unit $$$$$ I decided to have a patch welded over the small hole. Wondering if any one has had any long term succsess with this type of repair. I re assembled every thing on the ground first. Ran it and found no air leaking out. Then took it apart again and put it back up overhead and installed new gauges and regulaters.Also used 1/2 copper and brass fittings for a finall hook up. I thought it strange when I went to drain the tank this fall..... Nothing came out. I always would get about a 1/2 pint of water. Now I know why. After 3 days of being married to that tank,am glad to see it finished.
    If you make a mistake it was part of the original plan!

Air Compresser Problems

Ron,,

I am not going to be the only one to tell you this, but I am the first. As much as you think you have repaired yout tank, you may have damaged it more.

Obviously the tank you have is not one of the older thick walled receivers, or you would not be handling it by hand. Therefore, with the thinner metal used in your tank, and the fact that it has already rusted through, welding it may well have created stress zones that could fracture, with catastrophic results.

There will be horror stories by the truckload coming I am sure. About the tank that blew up and went through the wall, or destroyed a truck (a mobile mounted unit). None of these are fun to read about and the consequences could have been fatal, say nothing about much much damage could be done.

Before running this equipment any more, I would strongly advise removing your repaired tank and installing a new one. The cost would seem like nothing should you choose not do that and this one decides to disintegrate. I wouldn't want anything like that to happen to you, or to anyone.

I spoke my piece, now it's your decision. I hope you do the right thing, for your own good.

Aloha, Tony
    Last edited by Tony Baideme; 12-06-2008 at 02:23 AM.
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

I had the same thought, but lacked both the experience and expertise to state it so clearly.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

please don`t ever weld any type of pressure vessel!
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

A two minute Google Search pulled up this...

The air tank exploded out of the ground and shot the above the nearby train caboose, then fell back to the ground. The force of the air that pushed the tank rained masses of dirt and concrete over the immediate area, and deformed a metal bridge that was built above the tank. A four-foot deep crater several feet wide was left, with the concrete jutting into the air at and odd angle. The welded metal bottom of the tank had been sheared away in the explosion upward.

And this...

CHAPARRAL, N.M. (AP) - Dona Ana County sheriff’s officials say a 52-year-old Chaparral man was killed when an air compressor blew up while he was working on it in his front yard.

Sheriff’s investigators say Charles Bailey was killed instantly.

Investigators say Bailey sustained massive injuries to his face.

A friend found him dead in his yard Saturday, but sheriff’s investigators believe the explosion occurred earlier, either Thursday or Friday.

Bailey lived alone.

Investigators found parts of the compressor up to 170 feet away.

Replace the tank or buy a new compressor my friend.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Ron, you said, in part, "....I went to drain the tank this fall."

This fall? Regularly used tanks should be drained frequently.
    We had a large compressor that had a label over the drain valve that said
    "DRAIN EVERY MONDAY"

As others have pointed out, the whole tank may be near rusted through and ready to blow.

Replace it and you will be a much safer place to play. Watch for used tanks. This could be a good time to upgrade to a large tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Ron, you said, in part, "....I went to drain the tank this fall."

This fall? Regularly used tanks should be drained frequently.
    We had a large compressor that had a label over the drain valve that said
    "DRAIN EVERY MONDAY"

As others have pointed out, the whole tank may be near rusted through and ready to blow.
    Hate to say it, but not draining the tank regularly was probably a large factor in it rusting through.

I'll echo the recommendation to not pressurize this tank and get a new one. Compressed gases (including air) are not something to scrimp on.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Dollars per sense, it would be more wise to replace... as for the bleeding of a tank from afar... It is no problem to installa pipe line in the bottom and pass therough the ceiling and make handy the valve, Also they also make an automatic bleed valve that is controled electronicly. Air dryers will forego the need for bleeding

Yet the safest is to get a new tank Mine went to the salvage yard this past summer, better safe than frugle...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simpson View Post
    Air dryers will forego the need for bleeding
    o
    oh no they don`t.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]