I started turning this piece over a year ago. I screwed a faceplate onto a hunk of maple and started to shape it. I had to abruptly leave the lathe to tend to something else and by the time I came back it had cracked and warped. It took off the faceplate and threw the chunk of wood onto the floor. A few months later while emptying the shop of curlies, I uncovered it again. I threw it back on the lathe and now it was so hard my tools were dulling every 2 minutes. It was a rough form by this time so I decided to experiment with ebonizing maple. It took the vinegar/steel wool concoction well but only to a gray tone, not black. Discouraged I tossed it onto the wood pile once again.
Fast forward about 8 months, regrettably that is how long I waited to clean out the curlies again, I put the maple back on the lathe. This time for some reason it cut like butter and the final shape took form in no time at all. By this time the ebonizing made the voids darker along with the natural rim look like bark again. It did take a little glue to hold it all together in the end, but I am pleased with the outcome. It is about 12" in diameter and 5" at it highest.
I only wish I had taken pictures throughout the process. Why it didn't end up in the fireplace I will never know, but I'm glad it didn't.