Thread: Have you priced Mineral Spirits?

Have you priced Mineral Spirits?

Have you priced Mineral Spirits, lately? Got one gal. almost empty and I see on the price tag $4.15 per gal. (been a few years) and then I see on a jug of Paint Thinner a $3.49 tag. But the other day I was at the local HD and Paint Thinner is $9.97 per gal. and Odorless Mineral Spirits is $12.49 per gal.

Looks like I'll be cleaning my brushes with Kerosene from now on...

A friend called me the other day and asked me the same question, he was in a local Hardware store to get some paint thinner to clean a brush. Sticker shock kicked in and he asked my what I paid for Thinner. I guessed 3-4 dollars as it has been a while. He said he is looking at the same brush he wants to clean and at that price he is going to trash the brush and buy a new on next time.

Even Gasoline is down to $1.59 this afternoon. Is there Price Gouging?

I noted the same thing with oil for my truck. The cost for crude and gas have dropped, but they seem to be holding the price up on motor oils.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

WOW, Yor lucky. I am still paying almost $2.30 per gallon.

I bought a gallon on clearance for $3 (normally$12) at Sears. A few places around here are dumping stuff as they cannot sell it next year (although I don't think MS is part of that). Got some Cabot's poly for $4 (normally $14) a quart at Lowe's.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simpson View Post
    Have you priced Mineral Spirits, lately? Got one gal. almost empty and I see on the price tag $4.15 per gal. (been a few years) and then I see on a jug of Paint Thinner a $3.49 tag. But the other day I was at the local HD and Paint Thinner is $9.97 per gal. and Odorless Mineral Spirits is $12.49 per gal.

Looks like I'll be cleaning my brushes with Kerosene from now on...

A friend called me the other day and asked me the same question, he was in a local Hardware store to get some paint thinner to clean a brush. Sticker shock kicked in and he asked my what I paid for Thinner. I guessed 3-4 dollars as it has been a while. He said he is looking at the same brush he wants to clean and at that price he is going to trash the brush and buy a new on next time.

I don't clean brushes anymore...
    Nr. 1, I hate doing it, and I figure it's cheaper to get new ones each time,plus
    Nr. 2, I've never liked the way a brush paints after it's been cleaned anyway.

I'm going to hate the cost though, I use MS to wipe down turnings after sanding.. sometimes I'll use Acetone, but prefer the effects of using MS.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Don't you suppose a lot of products were processed and shipped while gasoline costs were sky high and still reflect that? Gasoline prices can go up or down several times a day, if need be. But merchandise on a shelf in a store is priced by a margin formula the owner sets and, pretty much, stays there until sold. I wouldn't blame the retailer but some of these prices do hurt. My wife was complaining about some vegetable oil prices the other day.