Have you priced Mineral Spirits?

Bill Simpson

Have you priced Mineral Spirits, lately? Got one gal. almost empty and I see on the price tag $4.15 per gal. (been a few years) and then I see on a jug of Paint Thinner a $3.49 tag. But the other day I was at the local HD and Paint Thinner is $9.97 per gal. and Odorless Mineral Spirits is $12.49 per gal.

Looks like I'll be cleaning my brushes with Kerosene from now on...

A friend called me the other day and asked me the same question, he was in a local Hardware store to get some paint thinner to clean a brush. Sticker shock kicked in and he asked my what I paid for Thinner. I guessed 3-4 dollars as it has been a while. He said he is looking at the same brush he wants to clean and at that price he is going to trash the brush and buy a new on next time.

Even Gasoline is down to $1.59 this afternoon. Is there Price Gouging?

I bought a gallon on clearance for $3 (normally$12) at Sears. A few places around here are dumping stuff as they cannot sell it next year (although I don't think MS is part of that). Got some Cabot's poly for $4 (normally $14) a quart at Lowe's.

Have you priced Mineral Spirits, lately? Got one gal. almost empty and I see on the price tag $4.15 per gal. (been a few years) and then I see on a jug of Paint Thinner a $3.49 tag. But the other day I was at the local HD and Paint Thinner is $9.97 per gal. and Odorless Mineral Spirits is $12.49 per gal.

Looks like I'll be cleaning my brushes with Kerosene from now on...

A friend called me the other day and asked me the same question, he was in a local Hardware store to get some paint thinner to clean a brush. Sticker shock kicked in and he asked my what I paid for Thinner. I guessed 3-4 dollars as it has been a while. He said he is looking at the same brush he wants to clean and at that price he is going to trash the brush and buy a new on next time.

Even Gasoline is down to $1.59 this afternoon. Is there Price Gouging?

I don't clean brushes anymore...
Nr. 1, I hate doing it, and I figure it's cheaper to get new ones each time,plus
Nr. 2, I've never liked the way a brush paints after it's been cleaned anyway.

I'm going to hate the cost though, I use MS to wipe down turnings after sanding.. sometimes I'll use Acetone, but prefer the effects of using MS.

Don't you suppose a lot of products were processed and shipped while gasoline costs were sky high and still reflect that? Gasoline prices can go up or down several times a day, if need be. But merchandise on a shelf in a store is priced by a margin formula the owner sets and, pretty much, stays there until sold. I wouldn't blame the retailer but some of these prices do hurt. My wife was complaining about some vegetable oil prices the other day.