Bandsaw tension problem

Well I FINALLY installed the riser kit on my bandsaw that I got back in July. It's the Grizzly G0555. I got a 1/4" blade that I need to use and it's 105" long. I ended up cranking the blade tension all the way upto the 3/4" mark on the back and it's as tight as it goes. I've never had a bandsaw before but I'm pretty sure I can tell this isn't tight enough. Within the 12" exposed I can push the blade to the side by like a whole inch. I was able to get the blade aligned just by spinning the wheels by hand and adjusting the top wheel so that the blade rides on the centers of the wheels, but when I turn the power on it flaps like crazy. No clue how that could be unless there's something wrong with my saw? Anyone have this issue before? Dumb question but do I need to have the tenion lever enabled and THEN adjust the tension for it to work? ...I wouldn't think so, but I had the tension lever disabled, adjusted then tension all the way, and then enabled it...? Any ideas?

If I'm understanding things right, you're tensioning in somewhat the wrong order.

Turn the tension lever to the "engaged" position (the tighter of the two settings), then adjust the tension on the blade with the adjustment wheel on top. 1/2" and 3/4" markings on the tension gauge are only a rough guideline. Here are some good guidelines for adjusting the band tension:

http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/six_rules.asp

Some of the G0555 units didn't tension right with the riser block. I did a jury rig on my G0555, then read that I had lucked into the right solution, but other people had contacted Grizzly and gotten revised directions.

My "problem" was quite a long time ago, so I don't remember the details, other than Grizzly customer service helped some people - it was not a user problem.

If I'm understanding things right, you're tensioning in somewhat the wrong order.

Turn the tension lever to the "engaged" position (the tighter of the two settings), then adjust the tension on the blade with the adjustment wheel on top. 1/2" and 3/4" markings on the tension gauge are only a rough guideline. Here are some good guidelines for adjusting the band tension:

http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/six_rules.asp

Yep that is pretty much exactly how I did it, sorry if I explained it poorly I was a little frustrated when I wrote it :) Thanks for the tips and the link though. I figured that the tension markings on the back are just a rough estimate, but I have it cranked all the way to 3/4" and it won't go any tighter and it's definitely not tight enough. Those instructions are actually the same ones that are on the back of the blade's package, so I tried to follow them as closely as possible.

Some of the G0555 units didn't tension right with the riser block. I did a jury rig on my G0555, then read that I had lucked into the right solution, but other people had contacted Grizzly and gotten revised directions.

My "problem" was quite a long time ago, so I don't remember the details, other than Grizzly customer service helped some people - it was not a user problem.

Thanks for the heads up Charlie. After I read your reply I did some research outside of this site and only found one other site with a similar topic, though they didn't have the exact problem I am having. I just can't get my blade tight enough. I even started with the tension as loose as possible, turned the machine on (blade's wobbling like crazy) and tensioned it all the way with it running. It didn't seem like it got any tighter at all, so I think something's wrong with the mechanism. I'm going to call Grizzly tomorrow morning and hopefully get this figured out. From what I've read, it seems they are very helpful. Thanks for the responses though guys!

There is another adjustment on the G0555 that allows use of different size blades. On the tension adjust screw, just above the scale there is a black round thing. It has one or two Allen screws securing it. Loosen those then screw the 'round thing' upwards about an inch. This will give you a lot more tensioning adjustment. Of course, re-tighten the Allens before doing anything.

Frank mentioning that makes me seem to remember I had to adjust mine to because the blade wouldn't fit. The scale is not going to accurate (if was to start with) once you do this. The whole idea is just allow the screw down further so you lift the upper wheel higher.

One other option no one seems to have thought of, the blade may be to long. ;)

Frank that's all it took. Thanks much for pointing out that obvious adjustment to me :doh: A new blade feels awesome in the saw. I got everything set up and tuned in properly to cut out that ellipse I laid out on the crib. I'll most likely post more pictures tomorrow. Thanks everyone.

Frank that's all it took. Thanks much for pointing out that obvious adjustment to me :doh: A new blade feels awesome in the saw. I got everything set up and tuned in properly to cut out that ellipse I laid out on the crib. I'll most likely post more pictures tomorrow. Thanks everyone.

Yer welcome. But, no so obvious. I had to get written instructions from Grizzly to adjust for larger blades on mine. Enjoy.