Thread: glue question

Question glue question

what kind of glue would you use on synthetic wood like the gray kind used on decks and the plastic lattice work? The reason i wanted to try some on ring bowl.I do ringmaster bowls.

I don't know what you are building, but wood glue requires a porous surface, which I don't think you have.

Polyurethane glue is a good choice for mystery materials, and is easy to use. I have used and hate Gorilla glue... but I have found PL Premium Polyurethane construction adhesive is cheaper and works better. After the nozzle gets plugged, I just punch a small hole (with an ice pick) in the side of the container, near the nozzle, for each use. That hole will plug (like the nozzle) so next time, just do a new hole.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

Thumbs up

Charlie, i cut concentrical rings from one board 12x12 inchesx3/4 or less. i get 3 to 5 rings depending on width of ring. I reverse the rings and glue them up as a bowl. T have the ring master for the shopsmith so i use the lathe portion of the shopsmith to finish the bowl.I need the glue to glue up the rings into a bowl.If use that kind of board the bowl should be water proof if i use the right kind of glue. It might be possible to make the bowl dishwasher safe also if the right glue is used. there is a marine glue out there i seen the ad in a magizine so i might use that. I just seen the ad after a posted the question . this deck material is still in the planning stage. I am sure i can cut the board at 500rpm on the ringmaster as the cutters are hard steel and if i cut real slow to not melt the plastic i might be ok.

Ralph, the Poly glue is waterproof (I use it on outdoor furniture), but it does have pores in the structure - if it isn't clamped right, or the joint is bad, it forms foam, and the foam isn't as strong as the primary glue. For the turning part, I wouldn't worry about poly, but I don't know how the joint would work in a dishwasher.

Marine epoxy would probably be very good. People who have become comfortable using epoxy swear by it, and can tune the hardener/resin ratio to get various open times, etc. I am not an epoxy expert.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com