I think mine was a pinewood derby car with my dad for cub scouts...His hands guiding mine on the bandsaw. I still remeber one of my favorite christmas gifts was a pile of cut-offs, a hammer and nails from my grandparents around the same time.

I do still have all 4 of my pinewood derby cars and some trophies they produced for me.:)

For Christmass one year i got a Handy Andy tool chest. It had a hammer, screwdriver, square, pencil, and saw. Probably a ruler as well, since you need to be able to measure to do wood working. The main problem was the wood. I was given an old orange crate to take apart. The wood from the sides and bottom was quite hard and brittle, probably 1/4" thick. The end pieces were thicker and a softer wood.
So, the project was a stool for my mother. I mentioned the hard brittle wood; well I suspect that the wood was harder than the steel used for the saw. I remmeber working hours and hours trying to cut the boards with that dull bendable saw.
The thicker wood was used for the ends and the seat, while the bracing was done with the thinner brittle wood. Needless to say the thin wood split when I nailed it. The stool was rather wobbly, but my mother used it for years when working in the garden.
I can't remember for certain, but I must have been in grade 2 or 3 when I got the tool kit. We moved to live with my grandfather when I was in grade 4 and the stool resided in the driving shed with the buggy and carriage and other gardening tools.

Did anyone else have a Handy Andy tool kit?

My first project was a desk - see pix (yep, that's me). I was about 15 and I made it in eighth grade shop (in 1958, 50 years ago). My nieces and nephews used the desk after I went away to college and my sister still has it.

Mike

Attachments

• MHwoodworking.jpg
    MHwoodworking.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 8
Seven years old, pair of sawhorses, my Grandfather doing the cutting, me drilling and bolting them together (guess he bought the 2X4's cause I don't remember paying anything for them). Had little tool boxes on the legs that caught sawdust and prevented them from nesting together. 1970.

Chuck, Legos are cool!! It is still building, just using a different medium. Have him build it out of Legos and duplicate out of wood!!

Allen, thinking the same thing, little blonde, nope that project didn't last long!