Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nikon Toast - Ressurected!

Smile Nikon Toast - Ressurected!

I'm always very careful with my camera - I never leave it in the shop an I always place it on a surface that is not likely to get bumped or see any 'traffic'. Today, I wanted to take another picture of the font top so I went into the house, took the camera from the dinning room table, and headed for the shop door. Unfortunately, the camera strap caught on a chair back and it was yanked from my hand. Before I knew what had happened the camera hit the floor.

Now it won't release the shutter, doesn't recognize the memory card, and keeps telling me the battery is dead even though it's freshly charged. I can't even get the screen to light up.

Anyone ever have to have one of the digital SLR's repaired? Mine's a Nikon D50. Is it toast or might it be repairable?
    Last edited by Rennie Heuer; 01-20-2009 at 12:06 AM.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Take it to your local camera repair shop and hopefully they can repair it for you. Good luck Rennie and get it fixed, we need to continue getting pics of your great build.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Niemi View Post
    Take it to your local camera repair shop and hopefully they can repair it for you. Good luck Rennie and get it fixed, we need to continue getting pics of your great build.

Tom
    I had thought to take it to a local shop, but when I went to the Nikon web site they did not even give that as an option. Instead, they have a form you fill out on line to print a shipping label and packing list. You're supposed to pack it up and send it to El Segundo, CA. Guess I'll ship it off tomorrow.

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

My Sony went bad. The cost to repair was almost as much as a new camera. Fortunately, a nice girl at customer service discovered that my camera was one week inside the warranty.
    Otherwise "toast" would be a good word.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    My Sony went bad. The cost to repair was almost as much as a new camera. Fortunately, a nice girl at customer service discovered that my camera was one week inside the warranty.
    Otherwise "toast" would be a good word.
    A replacement body - used because this model is no longer made - is over $300. I hope the repair comes in somewhere south of that.

www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    A replacement body - used because this model is no longer made - is over $300. I hope the repair comes in somewhere south of that.
    Sorry to hear about the camera dive. What does a new D40 body cost these days?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Ouch! Might post some questions on a Nikon forum to see what repair costs usually run. If it's more than $300 you might try to ebay a new one and sell yours on there as parts to recoupe some replacement costs. Been looking at Canon 10D's on ebay lately but even the ones for parts are going over $100.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by Darren Wright; 12-08-2008 at 01:25 AM.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Sorry to hear about the camera dive. What does a new D40 body cost these days?
    About $370 <here>

That will hurt.

www.wrworkshop.com

Did the lens fair ok?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Did the lens fair ok?
    I believe so. The auto focus is still working - weird - it just won't take pictures.

www.wrworkshop.com