Nikon Toast - Ressurected!

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
I'm always very careful with my camera - I never leave it in the shop an I always place it on a surface that is not likely to get bumped or see any 'traffic'. Today, I wanted to take another picture of the font top so I went into the house, took the camera from the dinning room table, and headed for the shop door. Unfortunately, the camera strap caught on a chair back and it was yanked from my hand. Before I knew what had happened the camera hit the floor.:eek:

Now it won't release the shutter, doesn't recognize the memory card, and keeps telling me the battery is dead even though it's freshly charged. I can't even get the screen to light up.

Anyone ever have to have one of the digital SLR's repaired? Mine's a Nikon D50. Is it toast or might it be repairable?:dunno:

Last edited:
Take it to your local camera repair shop and hopefully they can repair it for you. Good luck Rennie and get it fixed, we need to continue getting pics of your great build.

Tom

Take it to your local camera repair shop and hopefully they can repair it for you. Good luck Rennie and get it fixed, we need to continue getting pics of your great build.

Tom
I had thought to take it to a local shop, but when I went to the Nikon web site they did not even give that as an option. Instead, they have a form you fill out on line to print a shipping label and packing list. You're supposed to pack it up and send it to El Segundo, CA. Guess I'll ship it off tomorrow.:(

My Sony went bad. The cost to repair was almost as much as a new camera. Fortunately, a nice girl at customer service discovered that my camera was one week inside the warranty.
Otherwise "toast" would be a good word.

My Sony went bad. The cost to repair was almost as much as a new camera. Fortunately, a nice girl at customer service discovered that my camera was one week inside the warranty.
Otherwise "toast" would be a good word.
A replacement body - used because this model is no longer made - is over $300. I hope the repair comes in somewhere south of that.:eek:

Ouch! Might post some questions on a Nikon forum to see what repair costs usually run. If it's more than $300 you might try to ebay a new one and sell yours on there as parts to recoupe some replacement costs. Been looking at Canon 10D's on ebay lately but even the ones for parts are going over $100.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
I had a little Fuji fixed after a dive to the pavement blew the display. Covered under warranty even though I told them I dropped it. Couldn't hurt to check with Nikon. I'll cross my fingers for you.

I have fear and trepidation about the neck strap on my DSLR and have almost taken it off several times for just the reason you state. I think I will go ahead and take it off while the camera is at home.

Sorry to hear about the mishap. :( That kind of thing is always such a drag, to put it mildly. Best of luck in getting your camera back up-to-snuff without shelling out too much dough. :thumb:

=====================

I haven't ventured into DSLR land at all yet. A few years ago I bought a not-quite DSLR in the form of a [Canon PowerShot G6]. I even bought a few extra lenses and filters. But I rarely use this camera, reaching almost exclusively for a more convenient pocket-sized unit instead.

Staying in the Canon PowerShot family for my past several cameras, I just replaced my [A540] with an [A590IS]. I didn't care as much about the jump from 6MP to 8MP as I did about the addition of Image Stabilization. Supposedly, this "enables you to shoot at shutter speeds 2-3 stops lower than normal, helping reduce the effects of camera shake in your low-light or telephoto shots." Cool, and worth the ~$120 price all by itself.

Wait ... did I just say $120? Yep, for a fully-automatic (and/or fully-manual) camera loaded with features. Incredible, and I'm sure this bang-for-the-buck ratio applies to other brands as well. My only regret is that I didn't notice another model with a 10x optical zoom (for about $80 more) until it was too late.

At these prices I don't even bother with extended service plans.

I'm not saying that DSLRs don't have a place; their potential for "outta sight" photography is awesome. But most of my shots are in-shop closeups or point-and-shoot trip photos, at which my pocket units have excelled.

Have you considered augmenting (not replacing) your high-end equipment with something from the more-convenient and cheaper-to-replace arena? :dunno:

...Have you considered augmenting (not replacing) your high-end equipment with something from the more-convenient and cheaper-to-replace arena? :dunno:

In addition to my D50 (which is not really high-end, as DSLR cameras go), I've got one of these:

casio_z60.jpg

And one of these:

verizon_blackberry_pearl_8130.jpg

At the time I bought the Casio, any of the similar slim cameras with decent manual control were out of my price range. Of course that's changed now, and at some point I'll probably get something in the same size range with better/more control.

The Blackberry is barely a camera at 2 megapixels, but if I'm careful and the lighting is right, I can get semi-decent snapshots with it in a pinch.

Yep - that'll do! :thumb: So ... if I may ... why are you taking "shop shots" with a DSLR? :huh: Better framing or exposure options, perhaps?
The LOML is an activities director for a local assisted living. She keeps the Coolpix close at hand for the 'grab' shots she needs for her monthly newsletter - therefore the camera is usually with her and does not always come home with her each night. We've just gravitated over the past year to a "her camera-my camera" way of thinking I guess.

Last edited:
The LOML is an activities director for a local assisted living. She keeps the Coolpix close at hand for the 'grab' shots she needs for her monthly newsletter - therefore the camera is usually with her and does not always come home with her each night. We've just gravitated over the past year to a "her camera-my camera" way of thinking I guess.

Oh man Rennie. You broke the WIFE"S camera? Yeah, you ARE in trouble. Just send it to Nikon asap and get it fixed and get it back asap before she has time to stew over it. YIKES!:eek:

:D:D:D