Toy Chest

Pete Simmons

Any ideas / suggestions for a toy chest. I did a search of FWW and did not find much.

Some design thoughts -

1. It will be shipped from Florida to Colorado

2. Plan to use all real wood

3. Of course need to add some custom inlays with my 12 x 18 inch bed laser - so I would need to work on a piece that is latter fit into the box.

hey pete my dad made one that he had plans from wood magazine i think it was around top chest and was for a boy.. but you should be able to take any chest and alter it to make a toy chest.. blanket chest per say.

i think you would be better off to deliver it if you have the time.. it was $331to ship a cedar chest to WA from MI.. and you need to see the look on his face grandpa:D

Put yourself on the head of your grandson, what would he/you expect from a toy chest?
We all have been kids, and as far as I can remember I didn't like tidying up my toys. What can you do on the chest to transform tidying toys into a fun experience?.

Here you have some ideas:

A built in launching ramp on the lid, you could launch the toys inside and outside.

Some sort of built in crane to lift the toys from the floor and put them in as if in a boat

Some sort of combination lock to open a close it.( although I would find this boring).

Last but not least.

I would follow Larry's advice, if you have the chance, deliver it yourself and play with it and your grandson together.

I know this is not what you were asking for but I felt it could help...:dunno:

Pete,
Funny, I guess I'm not the only one to run into this issue.:D Years ago I made a blanket chest for my parents and shipped it knocked down from PA to Illinois. All I had to do when I got to my parents place was glue the sides together and screw the top onto the hinges. (the bottom pieces fit into a dadoed groove). I used dowels at the time to put the sides together. Now there is some nice KD hardware available. It was a raised panel chest. You might consider designing yours with panels that will fit your laser.
It's been over 20 years and seen frequent use. So far so good.

Just food for thought.

Wes