Thread: Back with Questions

Back with Questions

Just getting back following Introductions last month and have some questions I thought I may get some help or comments?

Setting up Mitre Station:
    My build-out is coming along well for the M/Station. Benchtop is dbl-layered 3/4" Melamie with Drop-down for Dewalt 705 12" which is boted down with
    (4) 1/2" Wing bolts.

I'm planning to dado T-Track to allow Fence to slide and it can also accomodate my Router Fence. Looking at "T-Track", although it looks like Hartsville also sells some nice Track, as well as Kreg. The drop-down that houses my M/Saw is built so I can slide it out on a seperate piece of Melamie board. This allows me to pull it out and extend my Cutting length range should I be working with more than 8"ft boards. Have to open the Shop door into Hallway.

The way I have designed this station will allow me to use the same space for a Router station. If I pull the M/Saw section completely out, I can than insert a seperate Boxed type insert that I'm assembling that will have my Router plate with Router mounted below. The center portion of the M/Station is an open Cabinet which will house my Shop-Vac and Router accessories.

In trying to contain costs but get good quality I am looking at the following equipment and wanted to get a general consensus before purchasing:
    1.) I was planning to use Melamie (either 1/2 or 3/4") for the M/Saw fence. Will the T-Track mount OK to this design and should I Dbl-up with Hard-wood for Facing?
    2.) If I reinforce the Melamie for a Router Table-top, it is my preferred material to keep the Bench-top, M/Saw area, and Router top uniform?
    3.) What is my best choice of the "Many-Many " Inserts?
    I'm considering Kreg insert + Fence / Hartsville insert + Fence, or the Freud SH-5?
    4.) Although I have (2) Routers, 3/4HP B/Decker and 1 1/2HP Craftsman, I am looking to Dedicate an under table unit using either a SKIL for $85.00 which seems to have decent adjustment range and controls, or Spring for a Hatachi MV-12 as these seem to get excellent Reviews. Probably have to be a Re-Con which sell for $110.00

Hope to borrow G-Kids Digital and post some shots of progress over the holidays

FYI: The Mrs is already looking around shop and counting $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Bruce N.

Thomasville, GA

I'll try to help on some of your questions.

1 & 2. Melamine is used for many applications like yours. I chose to use MDF for my shop tables and used a double layer for stability for my router. For added protection, I brushed on two coats of shellac, then finished with two coats of wax.

3. There are many good inserts -- the choice comes down to your pain threshold on cost vs features. Also, be sure it will work with your choice of router.

4. I have several routers, but chose the Hitachi M12V for the router table when I built my new shop.

I know what you mean about the $$$$$ aspect. Fortunately, LOML fully backs anything I want to do with my shop.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Delton, Michigan
    another vote for the m12v its work horse and much better than the one your thinkun of using..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

ABQ NM
    And yet another vote for the Hitachi M12-V. It's head and shoulders above the others you mentioned.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan