A few bowls...

Mark Cothren

Back in the spring there was a tornado that came thru Damascus, Arkansas (Faulkner County) and there were trees down everywhere. Some folks in my church had 4 big Walnuts, a Black Cherry, and a huge Pecan all go down in their yard. I managed to get a couple of trailer loads of wood from those trees. The man's grandparents are the ones that homesteaded this place - built the house and planted the trees. I turned them a nice bowl as a gift. Then a cousin of their's in Texas found out and wanted some bowls to gift to her four kids at Christmas this year. She also wanted a bowl for herself from each of the three tree varieties. I had already sent her a Walnut and Cherry bowl, so the Pecan is her's and the Walnuts are for her kids.

TexasBowl02.jpg

TexasBowl05.jpg

TexasBowl04.jpg

TexasBowl01.jpg

TexasBowl03.jpg

Last edited:
Great looking bowls - i got hold of some neat cherry and have tried everything to keep them from cracking even the freezer, cutting out the center, applying anchor seal and still the crack - what is your secret?

Thanks
Jack

Does it work well?

It is hard as a rock when dry - like Hickory (same family) - but finishes up nicely. It definitely is not one of my favorite woods to turn.

...and have tried everything to keep them from cracking even the freezer, cutting out the center, applying anchor seal and still the crack - what is your secret?

No secret... I just do what I was taught by others. Rough it green, soak it in DNA, wrap it in newspaper, dry it for a couple of weeks, finish turn it. Are your rough outs what is cracking, or your logs? If it is your roughed bowls, then how thick are you roughing them?