Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a Grizzley wet grinder, should I?

Getting a Grizzley wet grinder, should I?

Say, I am thinking of getting a wet grinder from Grizzly,
    i am hesitating because I do not see attachments for sharpening bowl gouges, and that is mainly why I am thinking of getting this wet grinder...recently I was told by a new acquaintance, that the Tormek attachments will fit on and work just fine with this Grizzly grinder....I am hoping others here at this forum could tell me if this is true, and tell me if you have one of these wet grinders from grizzly and do you like it?

What attachment would I get for sharpening my 3/8 bowl gouge?

David
    12-08-08

David,

I've been looking at the same thing, but haven't quite figured it out. There are a couple attachment sets grizzly sells, but I can tell what's for planes and what's for gouges. It looks like the tormek attachments would work, but I haven't asked anyone who's actually tried. It's a nice price for what is, in essence, the same thing...

Looks like this would work:

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/i...OD&ProdID=2039

This page might be helpful:

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/Tormeksvs50.html

Thanks,

Bill

I was facing the same dilemma not too long ago. I read a number of comments on the web saying the Grizzly jigs were not real great, but the Tormek jigs should fit. I was seriously considering buying the Grizzly grinder and a variety of Tormek jigs (not an inexpensive proposition), when I found a used Tormek 2000 with turning tools jigs for sale for about the same price. Knowing Tormek's reputation as a lifetime tool, I went for it. I also wanted to sharpen everything from turning tools to planes and chisels to scissors and knives, so I ended up buying most of the rest of the Tormek jigs as well.

If you do get the Grizzly grinder, I'd recommend spending the extra money to get the Tormek jigs to go with it. They do what they are designed to do, and the jigs are a large part of Tormek's success, IMHO.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

If the Griz wet grinder you are considering is the G1036 (below), I recommend, don't get. I have one and it has proven 98.27% wuthless. The wheel is too fine to sharpen. Works OK putting a final edge (hone) on things like flat chisels provided they are already very sharp. But, other than that is of no use. I have had mine a long time. And, last year the big wheel cracked spontaneously. Not wet, not in use. Just sitting there and it cracked.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails g1036.jpg  

Grizzly Wet Grinder

A friend of mine bought the Grizzly wet grinder and one of the jig sets. He determined it did not do what he wanted it to do and offered it for sale at our turning club. I asked to borrow it to see if I liked it, mostly for plane irons and chisels with straight edges and maybe for some carving tools. I went through all the pieces and parts and the instructions. He had tried to true the wheel but it was not running true. It also wobbled side to side quite a bit-more than I was willing to deal with. I took the wheel off the shaft and that appeared to be true. I did not put an indicator on it but it looked good by my eye. The wheel, however, was out of round and out of plumb quite a bit. I looked at the hole in the wheel and was not impressed. There is not a solid stone all the way through the hole. Not sure what it is, but not solid like my other grinding stones. This wheel would take some serious work to get it true and straight. I will be giving it back on Wed. I never even put water in the tank or touched a tool to the stone. I recommended my friend contact Grizzly about the lousy stone to see if they could do anything. I am not impressed. You get what you pay for. I will be investigating the Tormek or Jet versions in the near future.

Just my opinion on a single example of the tool. It does say "Made in Germany" not China.
    Don Orr

Woodturners make the World go ROUND

Don, in fairness, several companies sell this same tool under their own labels. Having a Delta, or whatever, label on it won't make it a better tool. Another supplier of ww stuff once told me most grinding/sharpening wheels are now coming from Israel and there is a high percentage of defects with them. It is a problem. Your fine, German made, tool could still come with a funky wheel. But, even if it worked perfectly, that very fine grit wheel just doesn't sharpen. It will polish an already sharp edge but that's all it's good for, IMHO.

I have been very satisfied with Woodcraft's 8" slow speed grinder:

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...&FamilyID=4605

and the Wolverine Grinding & Sharpening System:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx...s=4605&pcs=fam

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Don, in fairness, several companies sell this same tool under their own labels. Having a Delta, or whatever, label on it won't make it a better tool. Another supplier of ww stuff once told me most grinding/sharpening wheels are now coming from Israel and there is a high percentage of defects with them. It is a problem. Your fine, German made, tool could still come with a funky wheel. But, even if it worked perfectly, that very fine grit wheel just doesn't sharpen. It will polish an already sharp edge but that's all it's good for, IMHO.

Frank this is what they are talking about.

http://grizzlyindustrial.com/product...der-Kit/T10010
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    Frank this is what they are talking about.

http://grizzlyindustrial.com/product...der-Kit/T10010
    OK, interesting. Ad says made in Germany.
    I still don't like the one I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Townend View Post
    I have been very satisfied with Woodcraft's 8" slow speed grinder:

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...&FamilyID=4605

and the Wolverine Grinding & Sharpening System:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx...s=4605&pcs=fam
    I have the same grinder and the PSI knock-off of the Wolverine jig, as well as the Tormek. The Woodcraft setup is great, but I can honestly say I like the honed cutting edge from the Tormek better on my gouges and skews. I'm still using the Woodcraft grinder on my scrapers, but that's because I haven't gotten around to trying the Tormek-style of raising a burr.

If I need to remove a lot of material, then the Woodcraft grinder is the logical starting point, but I do like the finished results from the slow speed wet grinder.

Don, I've read other similar stories about the Grizzly (Tormek knockoff) grinder. They make some good stuff, but it sounds like this one misses the mark.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com