Thread: Ebonized Oak Vase w/Copper Wire

Ebonized Oak Vase w/Copper Wire

I stumbled upon Mike Kaplan's website a few weeks ago, after bookmarking it months ago. These two vases caught my eye and I wanted to give it a go with one of my own.

My version is shown below. I have lots of burr oak around and it takes vinegar/steel wool ebonizing quite nicely. This piece started out as a vase about 6 months ago, but was to long to hollow without a steady rest which I haven't bothered to make yet. A few weeks ago I cut the bottom 1/3 off and started again. It was cracking, but that along with the interior that I left rough adds to it's character making it another rustic or primitive piece as well. A small void was created when a small burl popped out as well. It's about 8" tall and 6" wide at the top with 3 coats of danish oil and buffed. I will be doing more of this style. Comments and critiques encouraged please.....

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Very interesting Jeff. So do you cut a groove for the wire to fit into? Then just CA the ends?
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Jonathan, I did cut a groove for the wire. I then CA's the wire with a small bend on the end into a small crack. Did the same with the other end. You can see the ends in the first pic.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Cool idea, Jeff. I'm not personally real fond of the rough inside, but if you (or your customers) like it, that's all the matters.

I think if I was making something similar, I'd try to make the outside rough and primitive, then have the inside polished as smooth as I could get it. I think the contrast between the two surfaces would be cool. I have something in the mill that follows that "contrast" idea.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Jeff great idea for a rough looking piece. Really sets it off. If it were me I would have finished the inside smooth but that is just me and maybe dyed it a different color.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I have mixed feelings about these. Remind me of something that might be discovered in ancient ruins.
    Copper wire idea is interesting.

I think instead of the wire, maybe try a thin sheet, 22 gauge x 1/2 wide, peen it, then use pin nails to attach it.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    I think instead of the wire, maybe try a thin sheet, 22 gauge x 1/2 wide, peen it, then use pin nails to attach it.
    I thought about doing this as well, but I had the wire already and I priced sheets of copper.... If I find some scrap somewhere I will try that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    I am not a big fan of the wire. I have done it on a few different things and have never been happy with the start and end showing I also have done the sheet inlay and hated the nail that held it together. So I started to do an offset over lap and solder the joint. That I like, now if I could just get rid of the joint.
    I will say you did a good job with the wire it's just not my cup o tea.
    Thanks Chuck, I didn't think about soldering it. The ends showing don't bother me as much as the wire not being straight all the way around.
    My Website

Very interesting, Jeff. You are always coming up with something different.