Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chain saw adjustment

chain saw adjustment

I dont know where to put this, and I dont have an instruction booklet for this tool.
    Bought it maybe 18 years ago? Used it to cut the logs to size for a fire place I had back then for 10 years.

I lent it to my brotherinlaw, and it came back with the piece that holds the chain/blade loose, and the chain falls off when I run it.
    Im sure the middle screw here adjusts it, but how tight do I make this thing?
    How do I know the correct tension on the chain?
    I just dont want to put it away again unusable, in case I need to grab it for anything.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wood stuff 395 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 396 (Medium).jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    ...Im sure the middle screw here adjusts it, but how tight do I make this thing? How do I know the correct tension on the chain...
    I'm not an expert on chain saws, but I keep my chain tensioned almost firm, but not tight. I can lift the chain off the top of the bar maybe an 1/8" or so.

I'd suggest going ahead and taking the bar off completely (it's very easy...just undo the nut you can see holding it on) and cleaning everything before putting it back together. When you do that, I think you'll also be able to see how the tensioning screw works.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Allen,

First I would try to adjust the chain to make it nice and tight...to see if the chain is not stretched too much...to say "time to replace me". If you can adjust it that far, I set mine so the pieces that ride in the bar groove are about a third of the way out when you lift the chain up at the center of the bar. Some Pros run then looser, but that's not for me. Some adjust so the chain slides smoothly when pulled along the bar. A good cleaning, and chain sharpening will ensure it's ready to go when you need it.

Last edited by Greg Cook; 12-10-2008 at 07:51 PM.

The manual in my Husqvarna saw said "just loose enough that it spins freely without much resistence"
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

well the adjustment gang have all given you good advice,,the way i do it is to set the bar against a high point and put pressure against it then adjust the chain to what greg cook said just able to pull the chain up the reason for settin it the tip up hight is to replicate the use on the log your pushing against it when cuttin and there your tight chain on the flat might be loose ON the log or to tight.. the yellow thing you show isnt like any adjustment wrench Ive ever seen it looks like a threaded hanger for something... as vaughn said if you take of your bar you will see how the adjustment goes but i want you to look at the "dog" closely that is the thing that tightens the chain on the bar, if you try to put it back together and the dog doesn't fit in its space you can on some saws break your case if tighten it up with he dog in the wrong place....
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

The guide plate is missing. Thin metal thing with the corners bent out a bit. Pretty essential to have. And, as others said, the chain must be fairly tight, about 1/8" slack in center.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    The guide plate is missing. Thin metal thing with the corners bent out a bit. Pretty essential to have. And, as others said, the chain must be fairly tight, about 1/8" slack in center.
    I'm not sure it's missing. I've got a Poulan that has no visible plate/thin metal thing in the hole, as I recall.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

quess it would be nice to know what brand and mopdel we are lookin at???? could use a manual to lok at,,this thing doesnt seem to be all therea s frank suggested,,you dont just have aone bolt to tighten down on any saw i have ever used..

its a Wen, model 5016, or 5106? 16 inch electric, not a loggers tool, just a fireplace log cutter.

Im going to give a look and see if any instruction booklet is available online
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wood stuff 401 (Medium).jpg  

from what i can see now allen you dont have the dog like i was describing you got one bolt and that is it..