Horn, What's A Good Finish

Richard Line

A friend of SWMBO has asked me to cut out some pieces of horn from a steer horn, a bracelet (ring cut through the horn) and several approximately 3/4" squares of the horn for her to use in making some jewelry.

Cutting the bits out has been straight forward, and polishing out the cut marks has also been easy using sand paper and scotchbrite pads.

My question is what might be used to give a brighter, shiny finish to the horn. LOML has suggested linseed oil, I countered with clear finger nail polish, but I don't either are good options. Any thoughts and/or experience on this.

Thanks,

Dick

buffing

the only horn work i have been involved with was a powder horna nd i used a buffing wheel.. to get the shine..ask frank he is a advocate of muzzel loader stuff and should know or have a contact that would.

Got lotsa horn stuff. Nebber heerd of putting anything on. Polish and forget. With time and handling will take a patina that is liked by many. Don't want patina? I suppose anything will protect. e.g. lacquer, auto wax, whatever.