Jointers and Planers

Bruce Niceley

Could someone point in the right direction for websites, Books, etc that will explain the Basics of the Jointer and Planer? What is their primary use and typical projects that will require using them.

I have a fair understanding of Planer functions but really vague regarding the Jointer.

Thanks,

Bruce N.

Jointer:
Makes a straight surface where none presently exists. Has nothing to do with thickness. This tool creates the first surface from which all other operations are referenced. It is used as the first step in the milling process.

Planer:
Makes a parallel surface to a given reference surface. Has nothing to do with straightness. If your reference surface is straight, the surface the planer creates will be straight as well. If you put in a banana, you'll get a slightly thinner banana out.

Those are the very basic descriptions. You can get a planer to do some of what a jointer does if you provide workpiece support (sleds, wedges, etc). It's time consuming but possible. These two tools work hand-in-hand when milling rough stock. I use the following method with rough stock:

1. Cut to rough length for a given workpiece.
2. Joint one face on the jointer (not edge).
3. Plane the opposite face with the planer.
4. Joint one edge on the jointer.
5. Rip to width and/or plane to width if possible.

Many folks joint both the face and the edge without going to the planer. I dislike this method because i feel it's limiting. I get both faces flat and parallel so that I will have 4 choices when jointing an edge given the direction of the grain.

Simply put, the jointer creates the flat reference surface that your planer uses to thickness to. Your planer makes the cut surface parallel to the reference surface even if that surface is not flat.

I'm a Knucklehead! Jason just said that . . .

Last edited:
Many folks joint both the face and the edge without going to the planer. I dislike this method because i feel it's limiting. I get both faces flat and parallel so that I will have 4 choices when jointing an edge given the direction of the grain.

I agree with that, but if you have to take off half of the jointer bed to use the planer thicknesser (as in some jointer/thicknesser machines) and then put it back again to make the edges it is rather time consuming, good planning of the different seasoning steps will help a lot though.:)

These guys got you on the right track, but I'd add that if you start with straight well seasoned wood, like Toni said, you are really far ahead. Trying to make flat wood out of twisted warped stuff is like digging a hole in a bucket of water, pretty much a waste of time...........DAMHIKT :doh:

:D

Cheers!