• slow speed-1725rpm

24 75.00%
  • fast speed-3450rpm

6 18.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: grinders?

grinders?

whats your prefernce and why? after being woke up this is for a sharpening use, plane irons, chisels, and other related wood tools. stone grits would be apprecaited as well..thanks for understanding
    Last edited by larry merlau; 12-11-2008 at 02:28 PM.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

i only voted "slow speed" `cause you didn`t say what the use was
    it really depends on what you`re grinding with what rock which is better, but given no other choices i`ll err on the side of caution.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

I didn't vote Larry because I use my small and large hand grinders a bunch, also have a DeWalt bench grinder for sharpening lawn mower blades, and then have a slow speed grinder I use to touch up my turning tools, so my options weren't available.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    i only voted "slow speed" `cause you didn`t say what the use was
    it really depends on what you`re grinding with what rock which is better, but given no other choices i`ll err on the side of caution.
    ok i was half asleep tod and yur awake i go back and fix it somehow

I like my Makita wet grinder. You grind along the side of the wheel, not the edge, and a small reservoir of water drips onto the wheel as you work. It spins at something like 560 rpm. Planer blades up to 16" fit in the guide, as to chisels and plane irons. Making a gouge jig is pretty easy. It comes standard with an 8" 1000 grit stone. I've also got a 120 grit wheel for it for quick shaping.

Honestly, i use it primarily for my planer blades. I haven't set up my lathe yet, but i'll use it for those tools as well. It works great for plane irons and chisels too, but i like my waterstones for the hand tools.
    I don't know if the Makita is still available - i think it is. I also saw that Woodcraft is selling a knock-off, and Grizzly seems to have a similar set up as well.
    On my bench grinder (1750 rpm), i have a white wheel - friable. It cuts great without fouling and seems less likely to burn my tools than standard or carborundum wheels.
    I hear great things about the Tormek and Jet clone, but couldn't seem to part with more than what my car is worth for something like that.
    Hope this helps
    paulh
    Last edited by Paul Hubbman; 12-11-2008 at 03:07 PM. Reason: add picture

I voted for 8" and slow. First the 8 inch leaves a shallower hollow on the grinding face for a chisel. Second the speed being slow aids (only if you dont over do it) in preventing you from heating up the edge too much and loosing the temper in the steel.

I have this wheel in 80 grit
    http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...072,43080&ap=1

I also have this grinder with a felt wheel on one side for honing

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Prod...roductID=11475#

I like the fact that I have a lamp close at hand with eyes now needing glasses for the first time. Also the speed is adjustable so if you need to give something a heavy grind at high speeds then you can.

Got rid of the rests and put a LV adjustable rest in front of the wheel.
    cheers

I picked slow speed as I use a Worksharp (540RPM IIRC). All my sharpening is flat. For some items I finish them off with the scary sharp method.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I have a Jet Grinder (wet) for sharpening my lathe tools-there not cheap but i really like it and it came with a couple jigs. One was for a gouge and the other flat tools (scrappers)...............Dan

I have a 6" craftsman bench grinder that my dad gave me for christmas a few years ago. The only thing I sharpen are lathe tools and the mower blade. Works great for me!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

is the idea of the adjustable speeds a good deal or just a gimmick? not critzig your choice rob just lookin for some insight...sometimes a single speed ibetter than a automatic