Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do you clean your spray equipment?

how do you clean your spray equipment?

i know it's a bad thing but do to lack of time and laziness i just spray a bunch of mineral spirits through the gun when i am done using it for the day.

so i ask, how are ya'll doin it? what is the best way to clean your gun?

chris

ps. i am using an inexpensive CH turbine powered hvlp.

I spray wb conversion lacquer. For the most part, I remove all the finish from the cup and run warm soapy water thru it, then after that run clean water followed by ms. Once a month I pull it completly apart and clean all parts by soaking them in ms for a few hours followed by a stiff brush.

Gotta love WB for ease of cleanup. I love just washing the gun at the sink.

I probably only spray them a few times a year, but for oil-based finishes (usually only paints for me) I use mineral spirits. I dump all my scrap in one can. Then I decant off the solvent after a few days into a can of solvent I use for the first round of cleaning--spraying some through the gun, getting the cup clean etc. Then I use some clean solvent. I finish up with lacquer thinner because it cuts the film thats left behind.

i use lacquer thinner and only do a tear-down after spraying anything with pigments or if the gun is giving me fits.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

I turn the can upside down, and push the button, and wait until the spray clears........
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    I turn the can upside down, and push the button, and wait until the spray clears........
    Lol now that's pretty funny

I have two 1 qt. cup guns. One is for clear lacquer only and the other I use for oil based paints. I only clean mine out if they give me a fit or if I am finished spraying and there is hardly any material left in the gun. It usualy needs to be less than a 1/4 cup before I will clean it. Haven't had a problem yet and it saves money on solvents. Catalized is a different story and you should clean your gun up every time you use it.

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    I only squirt clear lacquer through my gun. Like Alen I just leave it in the holder until I need it again. If I've finished up what was in the cup (it's a gravity feed) I'll fill the cup half way with lacquer thinner and drop the nozzle in it and again leave it in the holder. comes in handy if I need a few drops of thinner to clean something.
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    I was reading the post kind of in a daze. And then it hit me

Jay

how do you clean your spray equipment?

With all his other hard work, I guess Stu deserves the easy way out with spraying.

I tore down any gun right after finishing spraying. Lacquer thinner for solvent and blow dried. Never had a problem with clogged guns because I started with a clean gun each time. I have mostly Binks guns, from detail gun to 2 gallon pressure pots.

I don't use them much now, but thinking of doing some detail coloring of wood turnings, like Vaughn does.

Aloha, Tony
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.