these guys arent showing love for each other

allen levine

The bird feeder is always an area of warfare around this time of year.
The big birds chase away the little birds, and the squirrels chase away the birds, and the black squirrels, rule, they chase everyone.

I was just talking on my phone, and saw a squirrel walk up and decide hes going to challenge the black squirrel for some food.

Let the battle begin.

The black squirrel spotted his enemy, and jumped onto the tree and they fought for a split second before they fell to the ground.
The grey squirrel victorious this round.
ONe minute later, the black squirrel came back, perched on the dead tree for attack, and flew threw the air at the grey squirrel.

Victorious this time, he sat perched on that bird feeded until the grey squirrel decided he had enough.
He crawled inside and stuffed his face.

The second he left, all the little birds flew in for a quick bite.

Attachments

• wood stuff 409 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 409 (Medium).jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 38
  • wood stuff 410 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 410 (Medium).jpg
    61 KB · Views: 35
  • wood stuff 411 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 411 (Medium).jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 26
  • wood stuff 412 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 412 (Medium).jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 17
  • wood stuff 413 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 413 (Medium).jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 28
  • wood stuff 414 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 414 (Medium).jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 18
  • wood stuff 415 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 415 (Medium).jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 21
  • wood stuff 416 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 416 (Medium).jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 16
  • wood stuff 417 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 417 (Medium).jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 19
  • wood stuff 418 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 418 (Medium).jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 30
Interesting!

I have fox squirrels at one of my feeders nearly all day long - sometimes as many as a dozen of them at once, hanging around the area and bickering among themselves for the sunflower seeds. I go through fifty pounds of sunflower seeds about every five weeks, and an additional fifty pounds of birdseed every month, along with a suet block about every three days. Gets a bit expensive, but it's very enjoyable watching the wildlife.

As for black squirrels, I've never seen one in my yard, but about half a mile away, that's the only type they have. Interesting territorial delineations...

BTW, Shana, my Standard Schnauzer - see my avatar pic above - just loves to chase the squirrels!

I have never seen a black squirrel before. This Oct. I got to see some Fox Squirrels down in Florida- neat looking. Where do you live?

south nassau county, long island.

We never saw a black squirrel till last fall, seems one of the trees has a few living in it or nearby.

They move so quickly, when they jump at each other, its in a split second of them flying throught the air. Its pretty impressive the way they jump and attack.(I see them fighting all the time near that bird feeder, but only the black ones with grey ones, never two grey squirrels. I dont know anything about that, but seems they dont like each other)

Last edited: