Thread: New HF Shape

Question New HF Shape

I finished this a few weeks ago, but I'm not sure about the shape of it. It's about 7" wide and 4" tall with danish oil finish. I think is is maple, but not sure as it is some found wood.

I'm trying some different shapes and this is just one of many that I have in my head and on paper too. It does have a 3" foot that is about 1/8" tall to lift it up just slightly. What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20081124_0028.JPG   20081124_0027.JPG   20081124_0029.JPG   20081124_0030.JPG  
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

I like the curve on this one a lot more than some of your more "angular" pieces. The curve flows evenly, instead of being a combination of several curves linked by flat (or nearly flat) sections. That's a good thing, IMHO.

Personally, I'd still like to see more of a curve on the underneath side instead of the wide base this one has. Even though the foot lifts it a bit, it still has kind of a heavy look to it.

You're doing good to experiment, though, That's the best way to figure out what you like and what you don't like.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Looks pretty good Jeff. Just my opinion but I don't care for the flat bottom. I would put some curve on it down to the foot. Just keep experimenting like Vaughn said.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I don't know Jeff. The word "hovercraft" keeps jumping in my mind when I look at that piece.

But, after doing only two craft/art shows I can tell you that there is no accounting for peoples tastes. What may not appeal to me might tickle someone else's fancy perfectly.

Ditto what was said about experimenting with forms. I do it all the time and occassionally will stumble on something that has great proportions and is just pleasing to look upon. (I'm talking turned wooden pieces here)

That's the payoff for all the experimenting.
    Cody

It's the Jupiter 2!
    -Ned

very cool never seen one in that shape before
    well behaved women rarely make history

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Colston View Post
    I don't know Jeff. The word "hovercraft" keeps jumping in my mind when I look at that piece.
    I might try this shape on a group of them and call it "The Hovercraft Series"
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website