Moving Sale....(Osaka bound...)

Greg Cook

I'll be moving to Osaka Japan soon, with a new job and to help my wife's family out. I have posted some woodworking tools for sale in the FW Classified Forum. I'd appreciate it if those in the area would check them out and inquire if you have a need.

Thanks much! :wave:

Last edited:
Congrats Greg. I assume this is something you want???

I will be going to Japan for about a week next month. Hope to be able to meet up with Stu. I was there about 17 years ago and absolutely loved the experience.

Thanks, Ed. Going back to the company I started working at in 1973! :eek:
Was my first real full time job! I spent 8 years with them, 6 1/2 in Osaka and 1 1/2 in Seattle...then wandered here and there... :huh: Now I'm "going back home", but the company has really changed...all for the good. (maybe because I left....:dunno: ) :rofl:

Where will you be going? Tokyo? Osaka? Other places?

Congrats Greg. I assume this is something you want???

I will be going to Japan for about a week next month. Hope to be able to meet up with Stu. I was there about 17 years ago and absolutely loved the experience.

Ed, I'm looking forward to the visit:thumb:

Greg, must be a huge relief to get this all on the road, finally, and talk about a fresh start :D

At least you will not have to deal with snow anymore, that far down South, or at least very rarely.

Cheers!

I'll be moving to Osaka Japan soon, with a new job and to help my wife's family out. I have posted some woodworking tools for sale in the FW Classified Forum. I'd appreciate it if those in the area would check them out and inquire if you have a need.

Maybe I missed it, BUT, since you are about to leave, I guess that means you got your House Sold??????? I hope you came out OK on the price with the economy like it is, Especially after all that beautiful work you did on it.:thumb:

Thanks, Norman

We're finalizing the deal now. We had to come down quite a bit from what we could have sold it for a year and a half ago, but I think we did pretty good. The exchange rate is what I'm more worried about...$ dropped again today against the Yen.....:doh:

Thanks, Norman

We're finalizing the deal now. We had to come down quite a bit from what we could have sold it for a year and a half ago, but I think we did pretty good. The exchange rate is what I'm more worried about...$ dropped again today against the Yen.....:doh:

Yeah, the currencies have been flip flopping around a good bit lately, but one forecaster that has been pretty good seems to think the yen will not continue to fare as well against the USD. Maybe if you don't have to have the money in YEN immediately, you could postpone the exchange for a bit and watch it, but who really knows what is going to happen in the long haul.:dunno:

Yeah, the currencies have been flip flopping around a good bit lately, but one forecaster that has been pretty good seems to think the yen will not continue to fare as well against the USD. Maybe if you don't have to have the money in YEN immediately, you could postpone the exchange for a bit and watch it, but who really knows what is going to happen in the long haul.:dunno:

Keep you money in USD, for at least the next six months, the Yen will fall again, one reason I'm going to buy that SawStop now, it is basically at a 15% to 20% discount to me in Yen, from where it was in the summer.

I was told by a guy I know here who is a trader that some of the laws changed recently here for paying back loans. In a nutshell, guys in the US would borrow billions of yen from Japanese banks, the interest rates were darn near zero, they would borrow for a year, and in that year they would invest in very safe investments, things that were at 6% to 8% return, at the end of the year, they would pay the loan back, in USD and pocket the 5% or so they would make after everything, not a bad deal, if you can get it. The critical thing was they would borrow yen, convert to USD, then pay back the loan in USD. Now they can no longer do that, they have to pay the loans back in Yen, thus, there is a shortage of Yen in the market. This all started happening in the early fall, and in another 6 months at the latest, this will have all run it's course, as now the rules are understood and the easy loan in Yen, paid back in USD are not there anymore.

I hope that makes sense, it is how it was explained to me.

Cheers!

Keep you money in USD, for at least the next six months, the Yen will fall again, one reason I'm going to buy that SawStop now, it is basically at a 15% to 20% discount to me in Yen, from where it was in the summer.

I was told by a guy I know here who is a trader that some of the laws changed recently here for paying back loans. In a nutshell, guys in the US would borrow billions of yen from Japanese banks, the interest rates were darn near zero, they would borrow for a year, and in that year they would invest in very safe investments, things that were at 6% to 8% return, at the end of the year, they would pay the loan back, in USD and pocket the 5% or so they would make after everything, not a bad deal, if you can get it. The critical thing was they would borrow yen, convert to USD, then pay back the loan in USD. Now they can no longer do that, they have to pay the loans back in Yen, thus, there is a shortage of Yen in the market. This all started happening in the early fall, and in another 6 months at the latest, this will have all run it's course, as now the rules are understood and the easy loan in Yen, paid back in USD are not there anymore.

I hope that makes sense, it is how it was explained to me.

Cheers!

That explanation pretty well follows what I have read about it too, Stu.

Thanks, Ed. Going back to the company I started working at in 1973! :eek:
Was my first real full time job! I spent 8 years with them, 6 1/2 in Osaka and 1 1/2 in Seattle...then wandered here and there... :huh: Now I'm "going back home", but the company has really changed...all for the good. (maybe because I left....:dunno: ) :rofl:

Where will you be going? Tokyo? Osaka? Other places?

The schedule hasn't been finalized yet, but I'll start in Tokyo. The other plants are in Okayama and Sayama, and I think I will be going to one or the other.

Ed, I'm looking forward to the visit:thumb:

Stu, I'll let you know as soon as I have a schedule!

Well, looks like we have a house! My wife called, and we get it on the 22nd...I arrive on the 25th. Our household goods probably won't be there till the end of January...and I won't have a shop for quite a while....:rofl: My wife has actually said we need to get a car, so a "garage" shop is out...:doh:Probably just as well...this is the car I'm looking to get.

But...this would be cool too! :thumb:

View attachment 26575

Only size that will fit into the "garage". I want the turbo 4WD version...:eek:

Ed,

My Japanese Cell Phone is in customs in SF now and should get here next week. I'll let you know the number. (I had my wife send it so I could coordinate getting the dogs through the trip. Dog hotels, special pet taxis and other schedules with it as soon as I land at Narita airport...somewhat near Tokyo :rolleyes:).

Last edited:
You are going to buy a Daihatsu :eek:

Well, I know that some of the smaller cars that Toyota now sell are made by Daihatsu, but they have always had such a cheap reputation around here.

With the way the economy is going here, buy used, lots of good used cars out there, the used lots are FULL of cars :thumb:

Stu,

Daihatsu makes great engines.... I have a garage about the size of the Stop Saw you're getting, so not a lot of choices...Suzuki maybe:eek: :rofl: I don't want used, though they are great buys in Japan. Just rather have new with a warranty...and that "new car smell"...:D

Greg, Are you flying into Narita or Osaka? Too bad you have to sell off your tools but maybe that will mean a chance to upgrade in the future. Many good cars on ther market here. I recommend a kei (light vehicle with maximum 660cc engine). They are good on gas with more than enough power for local driving. And more importantly they are small so you can get around easier on tight roads. I drive a Suzuki WagonR - very popular kei car.

Last edited:

Is this the Greg Cook that is my old fishing buddy? Holy cow... It sure sounds like it. If it is, Greg shoot me an email. brian.whitehead@gd-ots.com

:wave: