Cubic Zirconia Inlaid Bottle Stopper

Steve Russell

Hello to the group,

Here is a photo of a bottle stopper I turned recently that has been inlaid with (24) 2.5mm Cubic Zirconia (Diamond Simulants), set in solid 18kt White Gold. Outside diameter of each stone is 3.18mm. The stopper body is made from a blue swirl acrylic acetate stopper blank, polished to 12,000 grit with Micromesh wet/dry abrasives.

The holes for the 2.5mm CZ's were drilled using a McNaughton (Kelton) ornamental jig, using a large Foredom hand piece to hold the 2.6mm drill bit. Holes were drilled approximately 1.85mm deep at 18,000 RPM. CZ (bezel hollow closed) presets were inlaid with thick set Cyanoacrylate ester adhesive. Top coat is Renaissance microwax, buffed at 3,000 RPM.

pic195829.jpg

Hello Vaughn,

Glad to be back... I have been working some really crazy hours of late (18, 20 and even 22 hour days, back-to-back-to-back) finishing a video project, so I have not had much time to check in or post anything.

The top is not square, but the light makes it look that way... It is round, with a slight raised point in the centre of the crown. This piece is from a set of stoppers that I designed that were inspired by chess pieces. This piece is the "Rook" from the collection. Take care and all the best to you and yours!

Hello Bernie,

Thanks for the kind words. I really love doing inlay work. It forces me to slow down and pay attention to the little things... Breaking old production habits is hard at times, but I'm really enjoying my new "artistic" studio. Cheers!

Thanks Dan,

If you've never tried turning plastics, you're in for a real treat! I was quoted many times as saying I would never turn plastics, but I turn them all the time now. They are some of my best sellers. Many years ago one of my art teachers told me that "The only way you truly grow as an artist, is by challenging yourself to do that which you would never do."

For me back then, it was pastels... I loved water colours, oils, acrylics, sculpture, drawing, ceramics, pottery and almost everything else you can think of, but I always refused to work with pastels. I decided to follow her advice one day and I dedicated myself to working with pastels. I became very good with them and came to love them as much as the other mediums I enjoyed.

So it was for plastics with me... I never dreamed I would ever put one on my lathe, but they are a large part of my business now. Just goes to show you, you have to be flexible and go with the flow... About 99% of my buyers are women and they love plastics, now I love them too. :) Take care and best wishes to you and yours!

Hello Doug,

Thanks for your comments. :) I really enjoy turning stoppers... It gives me a good excuse to use up all of those scraps that keep piling up in the studio! Take care and best wishes to you and yours!