Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rough Night

Rough Night

Kind of gloomy here. Haven't had electricity since last night and it does not look like we will get it anytime soon either. Last night an ice storm blew through and we got an inch of ice. Trees are down all over and they say 215,000 people are without power so it may be Monday before the lights come back on. That is no surprise. The last time this happened (1998) we went 13 days without power. We are literally one of the last houses on the line so we will be the last to get power.

Patty and the baby left for her mothers who live on the coast. They did not fair much better as its lunar high tide and there was plenty of flooding there today with the torrential rains and high winds, but their power was restored quicker. After going 24 hours without a shower, a way to cook food, and intermittent heat, they headed for their mother's. I'll wait it out here with the sheep, the dogs and the small generator I got powering this computer.

I know, no pictures so it never happened, but maybe if you do a google search you will see some pictures. We got clobbered today.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Stay warm and stay healthy Travis. Hope you get power back soon.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word boo. Robert Brault

Wow Travis I know I am a relative newcomer to North America but I always thought that Canada had it bad as far as weather goes. To me the past few years the north east USA seems to be the worst place for bad weather. Even in the summer with the torrential rains and rivers. Sorry to hear you are without power. What happens to the sheep in something like a ice storm. Do they generate sufficient heat of their own not to have their coats freeze? Keep warm and look after yourself.
    cheers

flooding was horrible here on the coast soth of you, Im sure you got hit bad with the colder weather, we had only rain.

good luck.

mother nature has certainly been busy this past year reminding us that she rules, the hurricanes, blizzards, mudslides, etc.

Are you sure you haven't been felling trees again?

Stay warm, dry, and safe. I hope you get your power back online soon.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Are you sure you haven't been felling trees again?

Stay warm, dry, and safe. I hope you get your power back online soon.
    You know its funny, those trees I tried to drop last year were on this rockwall between the road a field. I wanted to get rid of the trees because it crowds in on the field, and as you know, one went backwards and took out the power lines. Today I cut some of those trees because they were laden with ice and fallen across the road.

I would have liked to cut them all, but trees laden with ice are dangerous to fell, not to mention being slippery treading for the logger (me).
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Good thing you have plenty of firewood. Stay warm, stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Wow Travis I know I am a relative newcomer to North America but I always thought that Canada had it bad as far as weather goes. To me the past few years the north east USA seems to be the worst place for bad weather. Even in the summer with the torrential rains and rivers. Sorry to hear you are without power. What happens to the sheep in something like a ice storm. Do they generate sufficient heat of their own not to have their coats freeze? Keep warm and look after yourself.
    Rob when I worked for the railroad and got to work all over North America, I came to the same conclusion you did. We got it bad up here. Not that I mind, 34 years of life here means you get used to it. That means back up heat, generators, plenty of gas always on hand, and of course stored water for washing and living.

As for the sheep, they are fine. They got 3 inch wool jackets on so they are warm. The ice doesn't bother them, nor the rain or snow, but what gets sheep is the wind. Wool is great at keeping a person or animal warm, but its not wind proof. As long as the sheep can get out of the wind...even if its -20 F they are just fine.

As for heat, they actually generate a lot of heat from eating. Corn has high energy levels so if its super cold I give them some corn and plenty of grain. That mixes with the hay they get and they get what amounts to a warm meal in their stomachs all night.

For the moment I'm fine...generator dependent but fine. (It's amazing what you can do with only 2500 watts of power though )

It has definitely been a wild couple of days in this region. Lots of power failures and travel disruptions. We were lucky today to have been on the warm side of the system for once. 16C here this afternoon, but heavy rain and gusts to 90kph.
    Hang in there Travis. Look on the bright side, it could be worse - we could be out in the Gulf of Maine on a lobster boat!

Take care
    Peter