Advanced christmas present from Santa Merlau

This morning I went to the post office to pick up a parcel I was expecting.
It had been sent by our friend Larry who was kind enough to offer himself to buy me a bandsaw blade and ship it to me, due to the difficulties I was having to get one here. Here it is.
santa merlau01.jpg

Can you imagine what was my surprise when instead of a bandsaw blade I got this ham?
santa merlau06.jpg

But under the ham there were not one but eight assorted bandsaw blades So I could make the olimpic symbol and 3/4 of the audi logo with them.

santa merlau02.jpgsanta merlau03.jpg
plus two deer's glass eyes that I will use for a carousel horse I'm planning to make.
santa merlau05.jpg
There was also some unindentifyable wood dust to fake that the saws were used ( just in case).
santa merlau04.jpg
Larry I have no words...

santa larry.JPG

What a guy Larry is:thumb:. Envy you with both the saw blades and what looks like deer jamon. Back in South Africa we would make what the North Americans call "Jerky" and we called Biltong out of that leg. It comes out much drier but tastes great.
The jerky you can buy in the stores tastes like over flavored colored mashed hardboard. Here is a picture of what i mean. Uys will know what I am refering to. Man my mouth is watering after all this.:D
I only once found a place in USA that made "Jerky" like biltong and that was outside Pittsburg in a small village near Tarentum not far from Deer Lakes County Regional Park. Couple of guys own a pretty good hardware store and they had sticks of beef jerky on sale in a jar. Now thats what I would consider Jerky to taste like.:p

Attachments

• biltong.jpg
    biltong.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Geez Toni, that Larry is just one big ole teddybear :D

Way to go Larry, mighty nice of you gent!

Toni, don't try to fool us, I know "prosciutto crudo" when I see it :thumb:

"Ham" just does not cover it :D

Cheers!

Congrats, Toni! Great score!

That Larry! What a great gesture! I'll never mumble to myself about syntax again! ;) And yet, the idea of Larry in a santa suit just has too many contradictions to hold in my mind. It would be like seeing Larry in a Tux! ;)

Oh, wait... ;)

But the ham part would never work! American hams don't look like that. still, seeing that picture made me miss having a nice Jambon Cru hanging in the kitchen, that I could just take a slice off whenever I was hungry! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

santa's reply

well toni??? you got me on the deer leg,, i even thought the wife had slipped something in unbeknown to me:eek: wouldnt have been the first time she got her 2 cents in with out me knowing it:D as for the gift toni, this was given to you from the "family" ,,this is no different than what you have done for them in your help and advice, this just happened to be something that we were able to do for you. as for Santa well he resides in many places during the course of the year and he just happened to be stayun at my house when you're request came in.. there were other elves involved in this! it wasn't just me doing this. thanks to the elves for all of your help in making this a sucess..spread the cheer and like my second sig line states,, one hand washes the other:wave:

Last edited:

That Larry! What a great gesture! I'll never mumble to myself about syntax again! ;) And yet, the idea of Larry in a santa suit just has too many contradictions to hold in my mind. It would be like seeing Larry in a Tux! ;)

Oh, wait... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

ok bill explain to me the syntax part of this??? i tried to comprhind it but cant get it sifferd,, ireally do know alitel bout syntax tho it gives me fits regulary on a DI press that has a ancient rip attached..doesnt like the newere PS 3

well toni??? you got me on the deer leg,, i even thought the wife had slipped something in unbeknown to me:eek: wouldnt have been the first time she got her 2 cents in with out me knowing it:D as for the gift toni, this was given to you from the "family" ,,this is no different than what you have done for them in your help and advice, this just happened to be something that we were able to do for you. as for Santa well he resides in many places during the course of the year and he just happened to be stayun at my house when you're request came in.. there were other elves involved in this! it wasn't just me doing this. thanks to the elves for all of your help in making this a ..spread the cheer and like my second sig line states,, one washer the other:wave:

Honestly guys, YOU ROCK!!!

I was moved when I got the parcel thinking that it came only from you Larry.
Now I'm even more moved that I'm almost crying, and I'm not ashamed of saying it.

Many Thanks to all the "elves" involved whoever they are, I do not know what to say... and I do not find any emoticon to convey what I'm feeling, this is really a family!

Even being you so far away I feel you very close. Thanks, Thanks and Thanks again!

rare footagetn_.jpg

Oh, NO:eek:... ;)

Bill

there hope ya feel better:D:thumb: couldnt find the other shot:thumb:

This isn't a good sign . . . its getting cold where I'm standing!?!
Congrats on the care package Toni. Just curious; can you get ebony over there?

Hi Glenn.

As far as I know, it is very very difficult, and very very expensive, I think the only ebony that comes here is always pre ordered, and luthiers get it all.

If you need any for your G&G pegs I can try to find it, and if it is cheaper (which I doubt) than in US I can try get you some.

When I want to do something with pegs or similar like in my chair I use ebonized walnut to fake it.

Did ya make saw dust yet toni

with yur new set of teeth:) if you didnt notice you got 2 at 3/4 one is 3 tooth and one is 4 tooth. the 1/4" blades are the same way half are 3 tooth and other half are 4 tooth per tods specifications:)

with yur new set of teeth:) if you didnt notice you got 2 at 3/4 one is 3 tooth and one is 4 tooth. the 1/4" blades are the same way half are 3 tooth and other half are 4 tooth per tods specifications:)

I did notice, Larry, thanks, which one would be best for resawing hard maple? The 3/4 at 3 teeth? Maybe Tod can chime in.