So what did Santa bring ya for Christmas.

I got a Lee Valley turning smock and a Lie Nielson low angle block plane. Now I guess I get to learn how to use a plane:huh:. The kids sent me some cocobolo and ambrosia maple bowl blanks:headbang: .

I expect only one woodworking gift this year. And it came from Steve Clardy, on a different forum we have a SS gift exchange and lucky me Steve got my name.
Even with his recent shop troubles he still found the time to full fill a SS gift exchange, what a guy. He sent me a very nice hand plane. Will need to learn to use it now.
MVC-281S.jpg

Thanks again Steve.

I expect only one woodworking gift this year. And it came from Steve Clardy, on a different forum we have a SS gift exchange and lucky me Steve got my name.
Even with his recent shop troubles he still found the time to full fill a SS gift exchange, what a guy. He sent me a very nice hand plane. Will need to learn to use it now.
MVC-281S.jpg

Thanks again Steve.

You lucky Guy!!

FYI, the way it is sitting now is good, the back of the plane, the end you stand behind is at the big handle side, front of the plane is the little handle side, and wood you want to make smooth is under the flat side :D

Maybe you should print them instructions out....:dunno: :rofl:

Well I got a big fat zero, from my wife, but then again, I'm always seeming to buy myself too much stuff off season anyway :D

My sister sent me season 3 of "Corner Gas" and my folks sent me a 101 workshop tips and tricks magazine thing, some good ones in there too.

I just got of the MSN Messenger with my family in Canada, they opened the presents from us today, Christmas for us, and Christmas Eve for them, so they could thank us for the presents etc. The wood turnings went over really well, the kids loved their Yo-yos, my niece loved her top and the pens were great too!

Well, now we have the rest of the day of work ahead of us, no let up until the 1st of January.

Hope you guys enjoy yourselves!

Cheers!

[Pre-gloat warning]
I have it on good authority that after he gets un-backlogged, Randy at Monster Tool (and Santa) are going to be sending me this shortly after the first of the year:

Rear_bars.jpg

and this, with the newer laser instead of the one in the picture:

hollow_tooling_and_laser.jpg

Oh yeah, this, too:

BOWL_SANDER_2.jpg

We won't be opening the rest of the presents until later this morning, but this is the only woodworking stuff I'm expecting.

More importantly, I get te most enjoyment out of the reactions from people receiving gifts from me.

Most of my gifts surround the fact that I'm gonna retire from my teaching posititon at the end of this year. I got a fillet knife, fishing rod, fishing sunglasses with 2.00 diopters in them, a couple pair of pliers for the tackle box. My main tool gift is the Drill Doctor 750. My wife got that for me.

No christmas presents from family here this year.

But----------------------------------------

I consider all the donations, offers of help, and all the encouraging words when I had my major shop disaster, all the help from my family,

The biggest, best gift of all this year.

Thanks to ALL:thumb:

I am back to work:D

Thanks to each and every one of you who helped

Ps. Thanks Doug. I was worried if it was going to get to your house in time.

Last edited:
My daughter bought me a new Bosch barrel-grip jigsaw:thumb: Now there will be one less Porter Cable tool in the shop.

I bought a gift certificate at a tree nursery for my wife. Together we had bought ourselves an early pair of gifts, an Abyssinian kitten and a Bengal kitten. We have always had at least one cat(max 3) in the house since we got married 33 years ago.:)

I'm pleased to report that from my wife and kids I received a Lee Valley shoulder plane and a 3/8" Hirsch (sp?) mortising chisel. Not to mention, the pleasure of watching their faces light up when opening up their gifts!:)

I asked for an old type mechanical pencil sharpener, I got 2!! Identical ones!!! And one of the oblong shaped shop pencil kits with 4 pencils and the special sharpener. Guess I dropped too many hints.:D:thumb: Also got some cash that will help me pay for the OSB for the shop, and maybe replace the old Craftsman circular saw with the bad bearing. Would make breaking down the OSB a lot easier! Jim.

My Mom passed away in May of 2005, and when I was clearing out some things from her house, I found 2 boxes that turned out to be Christmas presents she had gotten early for my wife and I. I put them in a closet to save for Christmas. My wife was out of the country visiting her family and helping her sister take care of her parents, so I didn't open the gifts in 2005. I forgot about them, but found them in the closet a few weeks ago, so I decided to open mine up this Christmas.

The bowl was made by a Richard Walker, a local potter in Bandon, Oregon, an hour or so from their home in Brookings. As you can see, there are two small holes on one side of the bowl, and two grooves on the opposite side. Included were the "Ohashi" (chop sticks) that you put the tips through the holes, and the other end in the grooves.

In Japan, there is a New Years Eve tradition to eat "Toshiko Soba", a bowl of buckwheat noodles in a hot broth, with other traditional ingredients. The bowls will be used for this tradition. Thanks, Mom.

Last edited:
I only received one woodworking related gift this Christmas, but it was a big one -a Veritas Sharpening system from Margaret (my wife). Here is a photo taken while it was still under the tree (but opened).

Veritas Sharpening System -Christmas present from Margaret -small.JPG

I plan to use it tomorrow.

That's a great gift Greg. I am sure that you will appreciate it very much over the years. Something similar happened to us after my mother died 15 years ago and your story brought that (sad but happy) memory back to me. Thanks.

That's very cool Greg. You must be very proud.

Do you use the Gregorian calendar or do you use a Japanese calendar to celebrarte your New Year? I understand that they're similar but I don't know of the differences.

Other than my new jointer and bandsaw, I got heat for a present.

The property that I live in and manage right now is in the process of being sold. So, when my heater AND one of my tenants heater started not wanting to heat, I was asked/instructed to try to fix them and get them working until the sale was finalized (cheap son-of-a biscuit). They are beyond repair and you have to keep relighting them and banging on them to get them to work. they are wall heaters.

After about a week and a half, with the tenant and I not liking waking up in the morning to 50 degrees inside the house, we had it out and finally the owner relented and I went and bought two new wall units. I took about ten hours each because of needing to make the new heaters fit and work properly on the old wall space and patching and repairing the wall surfaces but we are warm and toasty again now. A working heater in the winter IS somethng to be thankful for. :D :D :D

.... Ha, That's nice Frank. I have consider one of those in the past. they have two models, as I recall :thumb:.

I only received one woodworking related gift this Christmas, but it was a big one -a Veritas Sharpening system from Margaret (my wife). Here is a photo taken while it was still under the tree (but opened).

View attachment 2540

I plan to use it tomorrow.