Thread: steel city customer service

steel city customer service

I have the steel city bench top mortiser. It has a locking knob used to lock the fence in place when you get it adjusted. It had stripped and I was having to use a pair of pliers to lock or loosen it.

I called them on Wednesday. I got transfered to parts. They checked to see if it was in stock, and I got it in the mail today. They asked me two questions, model number and serial number.

Kudos to steel city for great and painless customer service.

Thanks for posting, John. That seems consistent with pretty much every other Steel City customer service story I've heard.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

This will make Nancy's day!!!
    And on second thought, it should make all of our's day. Posts complaining about poor service get over a hundred replies, here is one with good news and now only two replies. See, good news doesn't sell papers.
    Good to hear and good on you to tell the story. Will keep it in mind and it will be something that causes me to look harder at them in the future.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Here's a reply to keep the numbers up.
    Good is good.
    But, that is good information also. I'll keep in mind for the day I may consider buying SS items.

Good to hear and good of you to tell the story.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

It is good to hear, and you are right Jonathan, "if it bleeds it leads" is so very true.

I do have to ask one question, why did the part strip out so easily? Maybe you should have had them send you two, so you would have an extra?
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Stu, the main reason was over tightening on my part. It's one of those knobs you pull out to readjust. The fact that it's plastic didn't help either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    This will make Nancy's day!!!
    And on second thought, it should make all of our's day. Posts complaining about poor service get over a hundred replies, here is one with good news and now only two replies. See, good news doesn't sell papers.
    Good to hear and good on you to tell the story. Will keep it in mind and it will be something that causes me to look harder at them in the future.
    Yep, Jon, this one makes me happy to see! I keep telling people how great SCTW is - now they might believe it!!!
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.