Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Building a manger (actually, a stable)

Building a manger (actually, a stable)

For the past three years our church has put on a "Living nativity" for the enjoyment of our community and to help raise funds for some worthy cause. Last year we raised funds for a local home for troubled girls. This year we're working with a local mission that houses men that are down on their luck and also supplies meals to families. They expect to supply over 40,000 meals this Christmas season. Visiting the nativity is free and open to all. A separate booth is maintained for voluntary donations. Our church does not take any money for our efforts.

In years past we have simply piled up bales of hay and thrown a tarp over it and called it good. This year we're expanding with 2 12 x 12 animal pens (we get several sheep, a donkey, and a camel! The manger this year will be a 12 x 20 wood structure. A friend is building the entire thing in his garage - panelized, so it can go up and come down easily. I'll post pictures of the structure next week as we won't be erecting it till this coming Saturday.

In the mean time I have the privilege of running all the sound and lighting and, with that, the job of installing it. Below are the pictures of the beams that will hold up the front of the structure. The lighting will be on the inside of the beam so's not to be visible by the audience. There are two lighting circuits to the manger - one with blue lights (for the time between the plays when it is unoccupied) and the other with clear flood lamps. 1,000 watts of halogen total. There is also a star above the manger with 700 watts of light. All these are controlled remotely in time with the action taking place. A local radio personality has recorded the narration with a muisic background and the play runs every half hour.

For me, the lighting of the beam took me an entire day in the shop. The pictures are of only one beam - but there is a twin. A plug and socket allow them to be connected together once in place.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3253.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	26624 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3254.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	26625
    Last edited by Rennie Heuer; 12-27-2008 at 05:56 PM.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

rennie, through some wood chips or break a few oreo cookies on that shop floor. Its so clean looking noone is going to want to show pictures inside their work area anymore.

Allen, if you look real closely to the left of his tablesaw, there are three wood chips. (Imported for the photo shoot, no doubt.)

Seriously, Rennie. You're makin' the rest of us look bad.

Are your lights going to be hooked into low voltage controllers, or are you hardwiring them into 110v switches?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Allen, if you look real closely to the left of his tablesaw, there are three wood chips. (Imported for the photo shoot, no doubt.)

Seriously, Rennie. You're makin' the rest of us look bad.

Are your lights going to be hooked into low voltage controllers, or are you hard wiring them into 110v switches?
    Actually, after I routed those grooves I had to vacuum everything up because I was slipping on the painted floor.
    The lighting will come off of a simple panel I built years ago that is simply a gang of 120v 600w dimmers, the same as you might install for a wall switch. Nothing special, but I can include a picture once it's all hooked up.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

I was just thinking that dust collection system works really well. hmmm...

Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

i was surprized that he can two things at once, and then for him to show us his floors again well that means he can do three things the third being keepin a spotless shopa nd still get work done it. he will never be a pro from the pro's i have seen there shops are dusty and have gallon jugs of tea settun around
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Built a few mangers this year myself...of course they are real ones to be put into real use by the sheep.

I have been asked about the sheep to be used in a local nativity scene as well, but when I told them they would have to transport them, I have not heard back from them.

As for the shop Rennie, I am the same way. I am particular about the cleanliness of my shop as well. Mine looks like a disaster as I am putting up a ceiling over the insulation and walls up as well, so everything is moved, but it drives me crazy.

As for your avatar picture Vaughn, what's up with the teeth? Cows don't have upper teeth silly, they have a palette the teeth crush the grass against!! I always laughed when I saw that Serta commercial with the counting sheep with braces. Sheep don't have upper teeth either!
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Rennie
    The manger is really a neat thing to work on. I can hardly wait till you have photos of the finished product. I believe you shop is cleaner than the inside of a manger, did they have little guys running around with brooms and dustpans??
    P.S. your web site looks good it’s coming right along
    SOMEDAY is not a day of the week

Rennie, you don't cease to amaze me. I was going to ask what's next but I see that you do many things at the same time! So the question should be what's together with it?

BTW Your chancel shines by itself on the background
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Johnson View Post
    ...As for your avatar picture Vaughn, what's up with the teeth? Cows don't have upper teeth silly, they have a palette the teeth crush the grass against!! ...
    She's a California cow. She's had work done. You should see her udders.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com