The DVR lathe stand is finished, almost. Lots of pics.

Alan Trout

Well I have finished up the lathe stand except for painting a few pieces and making a few touch ups from assembly rash. All up the lathe does weight north of 800lbs. and seems to be super stable. The center tube has about 75 lbs of sand in it and the ballast box has seven 50lb. bags of sand in it. I kept the sand in the bags for easy removal in the future if I need to move the lathe. Today I made the last few pieces. The diagonal bar that supports the swing bed section has two 1/2" spherical rods ends. One is right hand thread and one in left hand thread so it can be lengthened and shortened by turning the bar. It does add a significant amount of rigidity to the bed as you can seen by me sitting on the bed segment. I use two clevis pins to keep the bar in place. Takes just seconds to install. I will put some hooks on the back of the box to hold the bar when not in use.

I also built an articulated arm to hold Moffatt lights. It mounts to the plate that holds tooling. I still do not have the lights but it will hold two lamps and has facilities to plug them into on the lathe. I am hoping that Santa brings me the lamps. That would be a big help. The lathes electrical is all powered off of one extension cord. There are two outlets also at the front of the lathe for what ever power tools or accessories you want to use with the lathe. Also mounted on top of the load center is the surge protection for the lathe which has been wired for 220v. I also plan to add a few more components for a vacuum chuck, but that will have to come over the next couple of months.

All in all I am very happy with how it came out. I am really excited to get using it and look forward to many happy years with it. It may not be my last lathe but I really hope it will give me the service I think it will. I will let everyone know how it goes.

Attachments

• Final Lathe Pic 1.jpg
    Final Lathe Pic 1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 98
  • Final Lathe Pic 2.jpg
    Final Lathe Pic 2.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 87
  • Final Lathe Pic 3.jpg
    Final Lathe Pic 3.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 68
  • Final Lathe Pic 4.jpg
    Final Lathe Pic 4.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Final Lathe Pic 5.jpg
    Final Lathe Pic 5.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Final Lathe Pic 6.jpg
    Final Lathe Pic 6.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 53
  • Final lathe Pic 7.jpg
    Final lathe Pic 7.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 52
  • Final Lathe Pic 8.jpg
    Final Lathe Pic 8.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Final Lathe Pic 9.jpg
    Final Lathe Pic 9.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Final Lathe Pic 10.jpg
    Final Lathe Pic 10.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 60
Jeez Louise, that thing's not gonna blow away in a windstorm. That is an awesome stand. I think it's more substantial than any shop-built lathe stand I've seen yet. Great job, Alan. :clap:

Now...time to get that bad boy dirty!

Yes very impressive indeed Alan. Great job beautiful workmanship.

Alan, I purchased several Moffatt lights from eBay and/or Medical or Dental Used Equipment sellers. Look under "Exam Light/Lamp" or "Dental Lamp". One of the "brands" is "Giraffe" (Godwin Manufacturing) (it uses the same mounting system) or just look around.

That is one heavy, and heavy duty, sum 'b gum. :eek:
Very well crafted and a neat job of welding and finishing.
Big compliment there from Stu. His is great but yours kinda puts it in the shade.
Now, we need shavings. :thumb:

Thanks for all of the kind comments. It was a lot of fun to build. It has been many years since I have had a chance to use my metal fabrication skills. A little rusty at first, (pardon the pun) :D but none the less a lot of fun. I hope it performs as well as it came out. I plan on having a lot of fun finding out. I will keep everyone informed. :)

Thanks,

Alan