Beautiful Day in the PNW

Temp stayed right around -11 all morning, then "warmed up" to -1.5 or so... Sure makes packing and cleaning up the garage tough.... I don't see any relief in sight before I head off across the pond...

at least in the northeast we dont have to deal with palmetto bugs the size of baseballs, and that crunch.....ewwww...

The Palmetto bugs are a nuisance, no doubt about it -- but they hang in the tropical southern end of Florida where the palm trees grow. I grew up in Palm Beach County and they were numerous. While in high school I use to bellhop at the Juno Beach Howard Johnson's. One of my responsibilities was to make sure I got in the room before the guest got out of their car to make sure everything was OK, and there were no Palmetto Bugs in sight. Once in a while we would find one, grab it in our hand and put it in our pocket until we got outside and could dispose of it properly. Northern guests just didn't understand palmetto bugs and would freak out yelling cockroach!

But now I'm in north Florida (less than 50 miles due north to the Georgia Border). Haven't seen a Palmetto bug up here yet!

Just so you don't feel too bad, it was in the 30's at night last week. We've had two freeze warnings so far this year -- kinda unusual this early in the season.

Before I went to college up here, I dropped out of local college in NY and moved to Ft. Lauderdale.
Tamarac, Fla., and I was introduced to them and those lousy biting ants my first week. I never walked barefoot in Florida again after a couple of ant bites.

As soon as my wife retires, I hope to be around and I'll be back in Florida.

Here's what I saw on the way to work Tuesday morning, just around the corner about 100 yards from the house. We get snow on these mountains once or twice a year, but this is the earliest in the season I've seen it.

Tujunga Canyon Snow 2008 800.jpg

It's been cold here (by SoCal standards). Temps have been ranging between the high 30s and the mid 50s. Nothing quite like some of you other folks are dealing with.

Although the LOML wasn't too fond of the Palmetto Bugs, they didn't bother me NEARLY as much as those dern "Love Bugs".:rolleyes: We only lived in Sarasota for one year, but somehow we managed to catch TWO seasons of the critters. If you think they can mess up a car, you ought to see what they can do to an airplane just on takeoff and landing. Sometimes the windshield would be so messed up you could hardly see the runway for landing.:( Then I would have to clean the W/S (from the mess collected on the drive to the airport) on the car before I could drive across town to get home. Black & Red.......Ugh!!!

Cujo! Come boy!

Went home early this afternoon, because the snow kept falling. Problem is, so did everyone in town. What a mess. Finally got home (on top of a very tall hill) and the 4" we got down in town was suddenly a good 6" to 8" because of the elevation change. Before backing the car up the driveway, I shoveled it clear of snow so it will not get compacted. I also shoveled much of the alleyway in front of my driveway. All the time I kept thinking of Allen's Cujo resting in his nice little home.

Two shots out the shop's big door.:)

Snow 1.jpg

Snow 3.jpg

The good news it has warmed up (enough to snow), bad news is that it will start freezing again until...:dunno:

For us in the Puget Sound region of Washington this is about a bad as it gets in terms of snow. Not like you guys near the Great Lakes. You must think this is nothing and you are right. I lived and worked in Butte, MT one year (actually I was only there for 11 months, so I missed summer).

We do know a little about snow here, as just up the road in the mountains is a volcano called Mt. Baker which has the record for the most snow in one year...95 feet. It is just not down here in the lowlands.

www.athropolis.com/arctic-facts/fact-baker.htm

Last edited:
Although the LOML wasn't too fond of the Palmetto Bugs, they didn't bother me NEARLY as much as those dern "Love Bugs".:rolleyes: We only lived in Sarasota for one year, but somehow we managed to catch TWO seasons of the critters.

definitely a pain -- no doubt about it. They don't seem to be as bad as they used to be, I remember back in the 70's driving down the turnpike you HAD to stop at every service plaza to scrape the darn things off. They seem to be the worst mid state (Orlando to Ft Pierce area) but we do get 'em up this way. Don't ride a motorcycle when there out !! :eek::eek: