End Grain cutting boards... in progress

Ned Bulken

I fired up the kero heater today, and proceeded to cut to length several boards of walnut, Lyptus, Cherry, and Maple. Most of it was 5/4 rough wood, which i dressed up and then glued up into Phase I blanks for end grain cutting boards, about 13" wide by just over 25" long. I ran out of clamps or I would have made at least two more blanks. They're in the house 'curing' overnight. When I get home tomorrow after work I'll send them through the planer, get them smooth and then cut them up and glue them up end grain up for the final time. These are my first attempt at the 'Wood Whisperer' style end grain boards, so I'm not sure how big they'll wind up in the end .

I was impressed with the Lyptus I picked up at Lakeshore Hardwoods, wish it was a bit thicker. The board I got was typical of what he had available, skip planed at about 4/4 or so thick. I hope I'll be able to get 3/4" out of the boards, but only time will tell.

attachment.php

That's Maple and Lyptus

attachment.php

and those are maple, lyptus, Walnut and cherry... two blanks

Attachments

• Photo_11.jpg
    Photo_11.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 303
  • Photo_12.jpg
    Photo_12.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 294
Good to see the new shop getting some use, Ned. :thumb:

I don't know if you're planning to run the next glue-up through the planer (end grain orientation), but if you do, I'd suggest adding sacrificial wood on the leading and trailing edges of the glue-up to prevent tearing up the edge of the cutting board. I typically just use some face grain 2x4 scrap. After it's all planed to thickness, you can trim off the sacrificial piece with the tablesaw.

Vaughn,
I'll be sure and do that if I think it needs that treatment after the end grain glue up, thanks for the tip!
If you're real careful with the glue-up, and use cauls to keep things lined up, you should be able to get away with just sanders to flatten them. Sanding end grain (and getting rid of all the scratches) is a bear.

Are these for gifts or for your own use (or sale)? If they are gifts, you're gonna be a popular guy. ;)

strictly gifts, one to replace the failing and well used board in our kitchen, the rest are for my Mother, Aunt and a couple of friends.

attachment.php

There's my saw and in the background you can see the walnut pieces in progress. See the new featherboard I picked up earlier this fall? Works very well, and is quick and easy to set.

Attachments

• boards.jpg
    boards.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
Ned,
Gotta ask - I'ver used Lyptus. In fact, I've never even seen it for sale here, so I don't know what it's like, except to have read that it's a eucalyptus hybrid.

I have used Eucalyptus, when I lived in California, and it had a very distinct odor, and contained an oil with the same odor - very strong; think Hall's cough drops.

Does lyptus wood have these oils? If so, won't those oils impart a taste to whatever food is cut on it?

Just curious. Like I said, I really don't know...

I fired up the kero heater today,

Ahhh, I've been out in the garage with a kerosene heater too.

I'm liking the heater thing, as when I'm sitting at my bench, I find that it keeps my backside nice and warm...

Been doing 'sort of' wood working, but I'll post a pic of the finished product in a few days, hopefully.

Be careful Ned. When people find you can do these end grain cutting boards, they tend to remind you that they need them for gifts! My sister just reminded me, so I guess I'll need to be firing up another batch pretty soon.

Scratches in the end grain are a bear to deal with. I use a drum sander for leveling off the end grain, so I don't really have to worry about tear out. But it doesn't seem to matter how fine I sand it with the drum sander, I still have to go through a full course of sanding with the ROS after, starting with 80 and working up to 220+ to get a finish I like.

Look forward to seeing the final product!

Ned,
Gotta ask - I'ver used Lyptus. In fact, I've never even seen it for sale here, so I don't know what it's like, except to have read that it's a eucalyptus hybrid.

I have used Eucalyptus, when I lived in California, and it had a very distinct odor, and contained an oil with the same odor - very strong; think Hall's cough drops.

Does lyptus wood have these oils? If so, won't those oils impart a taste to whatever food is cut on it?

Jim, I can't speak for Lyptus wood, but not all of the eucalyptus species have the medicinal smell. The red ironbark eucalyptus I got a couple years ago at my office has a pretty benign scent.

Ned,

Jim,
not that I'm any expert, but it acted a lot like Mahagony, no real 'scent' or at least not a heavy one. And as for the oils, I think part of the hybridization and treatment they put it through deals with that. They actually dip all of the logs into a food preservative. (saw a presentation by the wood science lab which originally commercialized it a few years back.)

Ahhh, I've been out in the garage with a kerosene heater too.

I'm liking the heater thing, as when I'm sitting at my bench, I find that it keeps my backside nice and warm...

Been doing 'sort of' wood working, but I'll post a pic of the finished product in a few days, hopefully.

Be careful Ned. When people find you can do these end grain cutting boards, they tend to remind you that they need them for gifts! My sister just reminded me, so I guess I'll need to be firing up another batch pretty soon.

Scratches in the end grain are a bear to deal with. I use a drum sander for leveling off the end grain, so I don't really have to worry about tear out. But it doesn't seem to matter how fine I sand it with the drum sander, I still have to go through a full course of sanding with the ROS after, starting with 80 and working up to 220+ to get a finish I like.

Look forward to seeing the final product!
Brent,
I'm making these as gifts, so I doubt I'll have that as a 'burden'. ;)

Don,
Thanks for checking in. It's been nice to make a pile of sawdust for a change. I did the planing tonight, and I've got a ton of shavings to pick up on wednesday. I'll be doing the cut, flip and glue bit then. I've got to pick up some more kero, though. as I ran out tonight when I was out there. in the shop.

And for those who worry about fumes etc... trust me, I've got plenty of Fresh air coming into the shop.

Uh......Ned, I think ya better have a talk with your "BUILDER", 'cause I THINK he forgot to install the ah .... Door Seal, eh? Oh I FORGOT, that's the Kerosene FUME VENT system, isn't it?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Glad to see you're makin' use of the shop anyhow.:thumb:

ned, a big reason Im afaid to put any type of heating system in my garage is because I lack dust collection.
Is there much concern with a heater like you have with all that sawdust?

Im glad to see youre getting your boards done in a timely fashion.

Last edited:
The boards are looking nice, Ned. I especially like the light-colored one in the middle. Nice job on the grain orientation. :thumb:

Hey there Ned,

I'm liking what you're doing. You are getting me motivated to try making some cutting boards too. I really like your choice and positioning of those grains. Outstanding.

Yeah, I agree with the concern by Allen. You're getting a little close with the heater and the sawdust.

I know what you are going through with the wind leaks. Funny how that snow seems to get on everything. Same way my first old shop back in New York was years ago. That one was right on the high bank of old Lake Erie, and you know how nasty that can get.

Keep up the good work. I'm following it along.

Aloha, Tony

Edit: Those are my Daughter's Shelties in my avatar, That's the NYS Thruway (I-90 @ exit 60) in the far background beyond the grape vineyard. The truck is eastbound. Just thought you might like to know.

Last edited: