Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: techno grief

techno grief

I'm going back to smoke signals.

Went to use my cell phone this a.m. and found that all but just a few of my stored contacts had disappeared. Have no idea what might have happened. Of course, I didn't back up most of them.

And, again, this a.m. my Internet experience is as bad as ever. Very slow, sometimes freezes. Once, while at this forum, things just froze then closed. Rebooting twice an hour ain't my idea of progress. Yahoo is much-much slower today than usual. Might have something to do with the power outages and such from freezing weather out east. I dunno just supposin'.
    It wasn't any better with Firefox. If I phone India for help they will just want to format my hard drive. Seems to be their answer for everything these days.

Frank,

They just released the first full version of google chrome. It's worth a try...

http://www.google.com/chrome

Thanks,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lantry View Post
    Frank,

They just released the first full version of google chrome. It's worth a try...

http://www.google.com/chrome

Thanks,

Bill
    Thanks. I will try. I really don't know where the problem is, Win Explorer, my computer or the stars not in alignment. It's frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Thanks. I will try. I really don't know where the problem is, Win Explorer, my computer or the stars not in alignment. It's frustrating.
    Maybe you have sawdust in it.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

You didn't bring a brightly glowing green rock in the house did you?

Sorry to hear of your troubles Frank, probably just the pull of the moon.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Buy a Mac
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Frank,

Are you connected to your router via Ethernet or wireless? When is the last time you re-set your modem and/or router. When I get slow, re-setting usually makes a bid difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    Maybe you have sawdust in it.
    Actually, that could help.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cook View Post
    Frank,

Are you connected to your router via Ethernet or wireless? When is the last time you re-set your modem and/or router. When I get slow, re-setting usually makes a bid difference.
    Yep, have both. Both were reset within past couple weeks after the ISP had an eruption.
    I really believe the problem is inherent in Vista. The whole system is glitchy and slow. Wife is using the old computer with XP, I'm wishing I had it back.

You problably have done it already, and I'm not a PC guru but why not check for viruses?
    Then I would make a hard drive test
    Then I'd try with a register cleaner.
    Then I'd pour myself a cup of my favourite drink
    Then I'd try once more

If nothing works, go to your shop and do some woodwork, it will make you feel better for a while.

When this things happen it is very frustrating indeed.
    I suffered the same long time ago, a finished with it having all my data on a separate hard drive and my software and configurations on another one from which I have an image, using deepfreeze for instance.

When things start to go wrong and I can't fix it I just go back to the original setup, it saves a lot of time and frustration.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...