techno grief

Frank Fusco

I'm going back to smoke signals. :(

Went to use my cell phone this a.m. and found that all but just a few of my stored contacts had disappeared. :( Have no idea what might have happened. :huh: Of course, I didn't back up most of them. :bang:

And, again, this a.m. my Internet experience is as bad as ever. Very slow, sometimes freezes. Once, while at this forum, things just froze then closed. Rebooting twice an hour ain't my idea of progress. Yahoo is much-much slower today than usual. Might have something to do with the power outages and such from freezing weather out east. I dunno :dunno: just supposin'.
It wasn't any better with Firefox. If I phone India for help they will just want to format my hard drive. Seems to be their answer for everything these days.

Frank,

Are you connected to your router via Ethernet or wireless? When is the last time you re-set your modem and/or router. When I get slow, re-setting usually makes a bid difference.

Frank,

Are you connected to your router via Ethernet or wireless? When is the last time you re-set your modem and/or router. When I get slow, re-setting usually makes a bid difference.

Yep, have both. Both were reset within past couple weeks after the ISP had an eruption.
I really believe the problem is inherent in Vista. The whole system is glitchy and slow. Wife is using the old computer with XP, I'm wishing I had it back.

You problably have done it already, and I'm not a PC guru but why not check for viruses?
Then I would make a hard drive test
Then I'd try with a register cleaner.
Then I'd pour myself a cup of my favourite drink
Then I'd try once more

If nothing works, go to your shop and do some woodwork, it will make you feel better for a while.

When this things happen it is very frustrating indeed.
I suffered the same long time ago, a finished with it having all my data on a separate hard drive and my software and configurations on another one from which I have an image, using deepfreeze for instance.

When things start to go wrong and I can't fix it I just go back to the original setup, it saves a lot of time and frustration.

You problably have done it already, and I'm not a PC guru but why not check for viruses?
Then I would make a hard drive test
Then I'd try with a register cleaner.
Then I'd pour myself a cup of my favourite drink
Then I'd try once more

If nothing works, go to your shop and do some woodwork, it will make you feel better for a while.

When this things happen it is very frustrating indeed.
I suffered the same long time ago, a finished with it having all my data on a separate hard drive and my software and configurations on another one from which I have an image, using deepfreeze for instance.

When things start to go wrong and I can't fix it I just go back to the original setup, it saves a lot of time and frustration.

Toni, haven't downloaded the Google yet. Will soon.
Have been in workshop. Need to make a gift for my son's father-in-law, I think it's going to be a deer grunt call.
The favorite drink will come after I am through playing with sharp things.

Let us know what you think of that new Google, as far as layout, ease of use, etc. Not necessarily speed since you are having problems but I would like to hear how it is.