I finally got the large TV I've always wanted earlier this year so it was time to build something for it to sit on. After 5 months (never said I work fast) it's finally done and in the house before the holidays. It is my own design and probably violates true mission style design in a number of ways. It is made from Quartersawn White Oak and finished to match some other pieces already in the room. The interior is all bookmatched veneers which really turned out nice (although they look blotchy in the first photo, they are actually not), but it kills me that you don't really see them in the finished piece (oh well). The legs were built to show Quartersawn Oak on all 4 sides. I used a Leigh FMT to cut the M&T and it was a very nice tool to have for a piece like this as I used M&T's everywhere including the joints on the face frames (I counted almost 70 M&T total). The thing I wrestled with in the design was how to integrate the slats on the side with the shelves, and ended up deciding on the effect of floating shelves, when viewed from the side.
My wife likes it so I'll call it a success. We will be changing out the drawer pulls as we're not wild about the ones on it now. There are 2 things I'm not happy about in the finished piece. The first is the wood on the drawer fronts ,which doesn't quite blend as well as I'd like with the frame around it, it really bothers me because I spent so much time trying to pick pieces of QSWO that would blend. The second is the design of the bottom of the sides which is more shaker style, as it causes too much cross direction grain in a small area which can be distracting to the eye. Here are some pics
A pic in the finish room before the top was permanently attached.
A full view of the installed piece
And a closer view
A view of the side, showing the floating shelves. I borrowed the design of the corbels/finials (whatever their called), and the treatment at the bottom of the legs from a recent Settee in Fine Woodworking magazine that I really liked
A closer look at the sides, showing the legs.
A closer view of the grain and the finish
And finally a shot of the drawers. I used full extension slides so we would have access to the back of the drawers. I got a really good deal on the side mounts, so I used them, but I would have preferred to use undermounts as I think they look better with dovetailed drawers.
Please let me know what you think, Good or bad, all input is welcome.