Toddler chair finial

allen levine

I cant sit around all winter and wait for the temps to rise.
I didnt work today, and the weather was incredible, 58 degrees , warm enough to work outside in the shop in just a shirt, no sweat shirts or light jackets.

I cleaned alot, messed up my table saw a bit, had to reset the belt, play with the zero clearance plate.

Anyway, I decided to go ahead as soon as I get the jointer and make a few kiddie chairs,(toddler size) I was going to make after my cabinet, figured they can sit around awhile if I start something else.

I just didnt want to have a slightly high back type of chair with rounded over square edges. I wanted something like a finial type of top for the back legs, to break up the squareness.
No lathe, so I spun two identical pieces to see how long it would take, or how ridiculous they might look.
I can take it, can I get an opinion or two(or 3).
(I spun them in a piece of PVC pipe, since these were samples, I just put a piece in each end, and turned the pipe around each time I made an adjusment on the blade or fence with each pass so each side produced identical, or close cuts. Then I ran a slight roundover on all the edges)wood stuff 419 (Medium).jpg

On another note, for the picture collection, my adirondack chairs got put to some good use. My trench is dug out and the trench digger figured the chairs make a better way to cover the hole than some old sheet goods.wood stuff 421 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
No lathe, so I spun two identical pieces to see how long it would take, or how ridiculous they might look.View attachment 26708
Allen,

You were wise to do these without the help of a lathe. Should the feeling ever come upon you that you should add a lathe to your shop I recommend that you put the wood down, back away from the saw, and go inside and rest until the feeling passes.:rofl:

Actually, I kind of like the look of what you've done. :thumb: