deer call

Frank Fusco

Made this deer grunt/call for my sons father-in-law for a Christmas present. He is a very successful businessman and it is hard to find something he doesn't already have. Just hope he enjoys this item made for him.
These are adjustable from a deep grunt to a high pitched doe bleat. I made the lower end (called the stopper end) much longer than usual. The longer tube replaces the traditional flexible plastic tube that act as a sorta echo chamber. I just don't like them, look chintzy, IMHO.
The wood is South American Citrus. Smelled real nice while turning. Not particularly fancy wood but hard and oily. Holds up to moisture well. A couple light coats of spray lacquer to make look fancy.

Attachments

• deer call.jpg
    deer call.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 69
darren you city folk got fooled again:) thats not a deer skin its a raccoon fur that its settin on:rofl: hey frank how do you adjust the call.. o ring and slide mechanizum? looks good wish i could hear it..

Actually, the fur is rabbit dyed to look like sumptin' else. I got it in a round robin trade at night. :eek: Other guy got a better deal fer sure. :(
The two sections pull apart, they are only together by a friction fit. The reed mechanism is inside. Several ways to adjust. There is an 'O' ring around the reed and stopper, move the ring up or down. Or also slide the reed in and out a bit, shorter or longer. Pretty simple. (don't go away, I'll get a picture) My personal choice is the doe bleat.
Experts say that won't bring a wise old buck, only young ones that are......uh.....eager for feminine companionship.

Attachments

• call reed.jpg
    call reed.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 32
Very Nice Frank, I'm sure he'll like it.
I'm not a hunter, so I don't know much about calls -- Is it all hand-made or did you buy the 'guts'? If so, where did you get them?
Tony

Very nice job, Frank. :thumb: I made some predator calls (last year, I think) for gifts to my three nephews, and they went over very well.

BTW, Larry is pretty sharp eyed. That hunk of fur is, by golly, a 'coon. I have a couple baskets of primitive 'stuff' and just reached in and grabbed something that felt furry. There is a chance one day I won't get my hand back after putting in that basket. :eek: But, that's another story. ;)
Being 'coon it should be pretty good trade goods for next rendezvous.

These are adjustable from a deep grunt to a high pitched doe bleat. I made the lower end (called the stopper end) much longer than usual. The longer tube replaces the traditional flexible plastic tube that act as a sorta echo chamber. I just don't like them, look chintzy, IMHO.

Frank,
I like your idea on this one.. I've seen the longer tone chambers on some other grunts... I'm in agreement with you on the plastic thingies... they do look cheap on the calls. After seeing yours, I'm thinking I may go back and try to do something different with the half dozen or so calls I have left. I may have to use a contrasting wood on most of them.

Good job on this one, I'm sure your son's F-I-L will appreciate your talents and cherish the gift.

Frank,
I like your idea on this one.. I've seen the longer tone chambers on some other grunts... I'm in agreement with you on the plastic thingies... they do look cheap on the calls. After seeing yours, I'm thinking I may go back and try to do something different with the half dozen or so calls I have left. I may have to use a contrasting wood on most of them.

Good job on this one, I'm sure your son's F-I-L will appreciate your talents and cherish the gift.

This one has the echo chamber drilled only 1/2" the full length. A variation I have seen, and which may be better, is to drill the 1/2" only about 1" deep to accept the reeds. Then bore out the rest to 3/4". The larger chamber will give a different (better???) tone.

Last edited:
This one has the echo chamber drilled only 1/2" the full length. A variation I have seen, and which may be better, is to drill the 1/2" only about 1" deep to accept the reeds. Then bore out the rest to 3/4". The larger chamber will give a different (better???) tone.

I'm thinking you may have something here... probably not today since it's about 14 degrees outside and my shop is a metal building and isn't well heated, but I going to give this a try.

Frank, did you remove the o ring from the stopper for the picture? I see the groove for it, but it wasn't on it. Friction fit is correct, but the o ring makes it a tight fit for less air to escape. Just wondering. Like the idea of getting rid of the cheap looking plastic tube, will make one like you provided and look at the range differences in tones.

Geez, Frank, making it easier to shoot Bambi? :rofl:

Just kidding. We don't need to call deer around these parts, all we need to do is look out the upstairs back window! I've counted 16 in the yard at once!

Anyway, looks great! Hope the recipient likes it! :thumb:

Thanks,

Bill

Frank, did you remove the o ring from the stopper for the picture? I see the groove for it, but it wasn't on it. Friction fit is correct, but the o ring makes it a tight fit for less air to escape. Just wondering. Like the idea of getting rid of the cheap looking plastic tube, will make one like you provided and look at the range differences in tones.

This kit provides two O rings. One to hold the stopper to the body. I didn't use that one. The other, and smaller goes around the reed and reed stopper. That one is easily moved, or removed after the echo chamber is taken off. Seeing in person, you would understand instantly. My camera won't focus that close to show you. I would try to take another picture but it is already Christmas wrapped. Later, I'll look to see if I have another reed set and try to photograph that and blow up with PhotoShop.