Tood disassembly question for you

Doug Miller

A while back, my Sorby TX Ranger 1/2" Bowl Gouge fell over and broke. That was a sad day for me. I contacted Packard Woodworks since they are who I bought it from. Shortly afterward Brad Packard contacted me and let me know that Sorby was going to replace it and that I needed to send in the portion of the blade that had broken off and that I would be receiving a new blade at no cost to me. Yea Packard! Yea Sorby! Anyway, I got my new blade in today via UPS.

I would really like to use the original handle with the new blade. My thought is to grip the shank in the vise, heat the shank with a torch, and pull on the handle which should release when the glue gets hot. Does this sound like the right plan? Would you suggest another procedure for getting the handle off the old shank?

I think your idea of heat would be the first thing I'd try. It seems like it should work, and even if it doesn't, I don't see how could damage anything. If that doesn't work, then maybe freezing it would?

What leads you to believe it's glued in? Most tool handles are just a press fit. I'd try and grasp the shank in the vice and try tapping the handle off working around the handle. I'd probably put a soft wood ring over the shank to protect the handle too.

Mike

I would do like Mike said. I have drilled a hole in a piece of 2 X 4 that just fits over the shank. Clamp the shank in a vise and tap all the way around on the 2 X 4. It should come right off. I did this on a tool of mine.

I just assumed blades were glued in at the factory. Thanks for the further thoughts. Looks like I should be able to save the cost of the torch tank. Hmmm, wonder what I can find to spend that money on? :D