Thread: Ski Lift Rollback

Ski Lift Rollback

Ever wonder what would happen on a ski lift if the brakes failed and it started freewheeling? This video shows the result:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8rXiN_Oys4

I think if I'm ever on a ski lift that starts rolling backward, I'll be thinking about bailing off as soon as possible.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Ski Lift Rollback

Interesting video Vaughn. I wonder who was responsible for that fiasco? That almost looks like old footage. Ah yes, 1990.

If I remember right, the chairlift I worked on many years ago (like in 1963 or 64) back in New York, only had a small brake on the motor to slow the motor quickly when needed, but the cable drive wheel was on a worm gear drive that was low geared enough that it would not roll free, even if the motor shaft was not connected. I remember that the motor and gearbox were the first things to get connected before we started mounting chairs. The cable itself could be pulled along without too much effort but would stop quickly. We then used the motor to move the cable as we mounted each set of chairs. We mounted one chairset on each side of the lower wheel tower at a time to save moving the cable as often. We were full of inovations.

I'm thinking that the video lift must have had a direct drive system with no worm gearbox or the shaft from their gearbox to the wheel was off and the uphill side of the cable had more weight on it, so it just ran downhill and dumped the chairs.

Expensive mistake I would say. I couldn't blame those guys for running.

I'd have to agree with you and Jump if it started going backwards, and quickly too.

Aloha, Tony
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

Tony, here's the full story. It was done intentionally as a test and a demonstration. I haven't had time to watch the whole video, but I believe it was an old lift that was being replaced.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...74450&hl=en-CA (23 minute video)

workingwoods.com

Ski Lift Rollback

Thanks Vaughn. Yeah, that tells the story. Interesting.

You know, come to think of it now that the video mentioned it, I believe there was an emergency brake on the big drive wheel, that acted like the brake on an elevator. It was spring activated from an overspeed controller and kept disengaged electrically untill needed. That was not used as a service brake (the one on the motor did that job.)

That was a long time ago man. Funny I can remember that stuff. I only worked on that setup for about a month or so.

I'm sure that demonstration/test showed some people a lot.

How's the weather your way? You get much of that rain?

Aloha, Tony
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Baideme View Post
    ...How's the weather your way? You get much of that rain?...
    Yeah, it's been rainy here for the past few days. Colder than normal, too. It was in the high 30s to low 40s late Wednesday afternoon. It's 36 F here right now.

workingwoods.com

Video wouldn't work for me.
    But, several years ago I met a fellow who is on the Board in Colorado that regulates lifts. They require replacement of certain parts at stated intervals even if they still look and work OK.
    My shooting club is acquiring some old lift wheels, cables and other stuff to make a moving target system. Good deal.