Ski Lift Rollback

Interesting video Vaughn. I wonder who was responsible for that fiasco? That almost looks like old footage. Ah yes, 1990.

If I remember right, the chairlift I worked on many years ago (like in 1963 or 64) back in New York, only had a small brake on the motor to slow the motor quickly when needed, but the cable drive wheel was on a worm gear drive that was low geared enough that it would not roll free, even if the motor shaft was not connected. I remember that the motor and gearbox were the first things to get connected before we started mounting chairs. The cable itself could be pulled along without too much effort but would stop quickly. We then used the motor to move the cable as we mounted each set of chairs. We mounted one chairset on each side of the lower wheel tower at a time to save moving the cable as often. We were full of inovations.

I'm thinking that the video lift must have had a direct drive system with no worm gearbox or the shaft from their gearbox to the wheel was off and the uphill side of the cable had more weight on it, so it just ran downhill and dumped the chairs.

Expensive mistake I would say. I couldn't blame those guys for running.

I'd have to agree with you and Jump if it started going backwards, and quickly too.

Aloha, Tony

Thanks Vaughn. Yeah, that tells the story. Interesting.

You know, come to think of it now that the video mentioned it, I believe there was an emergency brake on the big drive wheel, that acted like the brake on an elevator. It was spring activated from an overspeed controller and kept disengaged electrically untill needed. That was not used as a service brake (the one on the motor did that job.)

That was a long time ago man. Funny I can remember that stuff. I only worked on that setup for about a month or so.

I'm sure that demonstration/test showed some people a lot.

How's the weather your way? You get much of that rain?

Aloha, Tony

Video wouldn't work for me.
But, several years ago I met a fellow who is on the Board in Colorado that regulates lifts. They require replacement of certain parts at stated intervals even if they still look and work OK.
My shooting club is acquiring some old lift wheels, cables and other stuff to make a moving target system. Good deal.