Starrett vintage combination square issue

Craig Johnson

Hi everyone.
I have a used Starrett 12" combination square that I bought on Ebay and received today.
Everything seems to be fine with it but the rule doesnt stay put when the nut is tightened.
I dont have a lot of experience with Starret but the design looks simple enough.
Has anyone had an issue with this and been able to repair/replace a part to make it work correctly? I think it should be a lot tighter and not prone to movement.
I have not contacted the seller but would like to keep it based on the price I got it for. I have sent an email to Starret though.
The only other thing I could think of is the ruler does not match the head.

Craig
there should be a small raised section on the part with the thumb screw going through the base. you can take it compleatly out to see if it there. It should match the slot in the rule blade. If not it will not tighten. I am sure you can purchess those from strarett but I think one from any rule will work.
Reg

The one it came with only has a small lip on it that rides in the groove on the rule.
I tried the pin from my cheapie square but it doesnt fit.
I can tighten the nut all the way and she slied quite easily.
Hopefully Starrett can supply me with a new pin. Maybe thats it.

Do the head and blade both have starret stamped on them? It sounds like the pin is wore down. I think Grainger sells the parts. I may have an extra pin from a head that took a 15 foot fall. The head didn't live.

Yes they both say Starrett on them.
The pin has only a small shoulder on it to clamp against the rule.
Maybe 1/16th or 1/8th of an inch thick.
If the pin is supposed to be the same width as the groove in the rule then it needs to be replaced I would assume.

Yes Greg that is it.
Although mine looks like that as far as shoulder heigth.
I looked a lot at Starrett's website but did not see that pic. Only found parts descriptions.
What could possibly make it not hold tight? My hunch tells me its that pin.

Craig, if you need a different model, click here and then choose your tool... Then click on the small pic to the left of the tool name. I would agree, that's probably the problem.

Geez.
Ya know what, the tightening knob was on backwards.
Yes, my name is Doofus. lol
So problem fixed.
But one other question:
The rule itself has some staining/discoloration. Does anyone have a way to get it nice & clean?
I used steel wool and it removed some of it. Then I used Simple Green and a toothbrush and that had no effect. Its not rust but stains.

Thanks all.

I suspect Glenn was simply remembering going down that same road at some time in the past. ;)

You're probably right there, Vaughn....but at least he had the gumption to fess up...even if it was highly camaflauged...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

How can you guys even THINK that!?! Oh yeah, you've read some of my posts. I do have the gift of blending deftness and dorkness almost seamlessly :D.

Boeshield's 'Rust Free' product (contains phosphoric acid) has pulled stains and shadows out of cast iron that I had given up on ever getting out. I don't know if it will work as well on other metals. It is corrosive so read and follow directions.

Craig you figured it out before I could post. I say that because its something I have done before and I am a machinist by trade.

(PS: I would never have called you a Doufus though, just would have asked if you had the nut on backwards. It was the first thing I thought of when I read your original post.)