Engraved Pens c/o Pete Simmons

Long story short, a foreign language teacher at my school a few weeks back asked me to come to her room as she had something for me. Well got there and she started tearing up before she even started talking. Come to find out, she had an older sister that she never met as she was born two years after her older sister's tragic auto accident. Her sister died summer of 1960, and consequently that year one of her 4H projects was a wood id board. This teacher explained that her mother was cleaning out the attic and was going to throw this away finally so she brought it to me in the hopes I could utilize it. Immediately I knew I was going to make a pen for her and her mother, but thought of doing it on the sly. She and our math teacher department head come from the same county and so he the next day suggested I make pens for her for Christmas presents for her family. So, that is how I arrived at this job of making 12 pens on a rush order as I had to send them to Pete Simmons in Florida to be engraved. Sent them out last Saturday (the same time I sent the 340 soldier pens to Doug Miller) Pete got the pens Monday, got them engraved Monday, sent them back to me Monday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way to go Pete!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Got the pens yesterday (Thursday) they are beyond words. Know she is going to cry again when she sees them. They were nice pens, but man, Pete's work just enhanced beyond belief their look!!!!!
So am going to drive them to her house today after picking up my wife and youngest from work as I drove them both to work due to ice and me being free of work as school was cancelled. Here are pictures of them as a group, a close up of the engraving, and appreciate you looking. Laser Art Images, Pete Simmons, utilize his talents, he is a family member as well as a major supporter of the NJ-SP Ag. Woods Project "GIVE BACK".

Attachments

• annspensI.JPG
    annspensI.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 38
  • annspensII.JPG
    annspensII.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 24
  • annspensIII.JPG
    annspensIII.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 53
  • annspensIV.JPG
    annspensIV.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Great gesture, Jon. :thumb: And that Pete guy...for a guy who plays golf all the time, he sure does get a lot of work done on short notice, huh? :D Well done to you both.

Pens

Glad I was able to help a little.

Now that I have the whole story I understand how special the wood was. If I had known when doing the engraving I would have been even more worried about ruining your beautiful pens.

Glad I was able to help a little.

Now that I have the whole story I understand how special the wood was. If I had known when doing the engraving I would have been even more worried about ruining your beautiful pens.

Beautiful story Jonathan.
You are one I think of when I hear the pen is mightier than the sword.

well i totally agree with the above words and to add a few of my own,, those that were involved are what our family wood working forum stands for,, being the one that gives rather than receives! jon and pete both are at the top of the list in this catagory!!! great story jon and well dune my friend!!! we are what we sow.:thumb:

Wow, what a thoughful thing to do Jonathan, very touching story. great way to pitch in Pete :thumb: I'm sure the pens will be appreciated. Yes things like this is exactly why I like this forum and hope it continues for a very long time.

Thanks to all

Tom