Money, Antler & Fruit Loop Pens

Trying to create things for my students next semester that "raise the bar" for them. Want them to create instead of just make projects from kits. The kits are still wonderful to work from, but want them to try some segmenting or utilizing other mediums. Here are the three examples I turned for them months ago, just had time last night to shoot pictures of them although the quality lacks something. The money blank comes from Woodturningz.com, the antler from whitetail deer here in Starke County, Indiana, and the fruit loops, well, let's say it was a hunch while walking through the cereal aisle and it worked. They are a little porous so have some "tweaking" to do although many people including some of my students are still just shaking their heads! :rofl::dunno: I really don't care the number of students that become turners, but will tell you, it has raised their critical thinking skills beyond their levels from last August! :thumb:
By the way, all slimline twists, for the antler, the purchase of a sliding mandrel has been great! As always, thanks for looking, feel free to comment the good the bad and the ugly.

Attachments

• antlerII.JPG
    antlerII.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 29
  • antlerI.JPG
    antlerI.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 24
  • moneypen.JPG
    moneypen.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 36
  • FruitlooppenI.JPG
    FruitlooppenI.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 62
  • moneyantlercereal.JPG
    moneyantlercereal.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Wonderful job on the pens Jonathan. You might try doubling the size of your pics, they are a little hard to see the detail on them. The max size is 800 X 800, so you've got room to at least double them. What resizer are you using?

Vaughn, yeah, it was kind of funny because I just try things and my students are so focused on blanks and kits they haven't looked around themselves yet. (I remember being that way). Anyway, took a baggie of fruit loops and toothpicks in the shop. Threaded the fruit loops down the toothpicks, made two blanks and glued with thin CA glue first. Got both blanks holding together as single units so built mini water troughs (the shape and design that came to mind). Suspended the blank by the ends of the trough utilizing long toothpicks. Then filled the little trough with thick CA glue. Took about four days to completely dry. The first blank I blew out because I tried to turn the little wooden trough off of the blank. Repaired it, cut the troughs off with a bandsaw and turned fine. Very porous so isn't a real shiny pretty, just more a curiousity thing. Have a couple of ideas to improve and another food idea.

DING DING DING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have a winner, great guess Rex!!!!!!!!!!! Yep, that was the next food idea as I think it will be more dense throughout and create a better finished product. Also been wondering about two part epoxy (cheaper than thick CA???). I teach welding to High School students throughout the day, adults two weeks a month in the evening and started this class last year just for giggles. It has blown up to be quite the popular class and the soldier pens was an amazing display of pens and talent by kids. Needless to say, I enjoy my job!!!!!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb: Larry has been through my shops, he knows I have it made!;)
Oh by the way, would like to see it become an art approved class. Regardless though, the critical thinking skills the kids are demonstrating is amazing. You can actually watch them think and see the light bulb come on!!!!!