Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another newbie in the midst

Central Michigan

Another newbie in the midst

Hey guys

Just joined, I saw that a good friend of mine, Mario, is a member here but it looks like he hasn't been on for a while. I know he's getting his shop going now so it should be interesting and a lot of fun for him. His craftsmanship is getting better and better all the time! He and I were both blessed with the ability to build stuff and we get it from our dads.

I've been working with wood in one form or another most of my life. I don't have any fancy tools, just the basics but I looooooooooove working with wood. I have built decks, sheds, even a couple of book cabinets and counter tops for the house but my most involved projects were electric guitars. I built four from scratch and enjoyed building them tremendously.

I'm married with two teens, one is in college now. My wife and I both work at our local school with her in the kitchen and me being the technology director. I don't want to bore you with too much more but I am a musician, love motorcycles, premium cigars, sports, music, so many things... and I'm back in school going for a business management degree so I don't have much spare time these days.

So far I've seen a ton of great information here, it looks like there are some very knowledgeable people.

Hi Jim. What do you suggest as to a good cigar? I am thinking of taking up a couple of vices after all this clean living and something about cigars sounds appealing.

Alexandria, Virginia
    Thanks for joining us Jim. If your wood working is half as good as your tastes, I'm sure we will see some nice things from you.

Rio Rancho, NM
    Welcome to the Family, Jim.

We love pictures, so don't be shy.
    Nancy Laird
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

No, not all of SoCal is Los Angeles!
    Great to have you.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

ABQ NM
    29,135! We want pictures!

If I could stop turning on the lathe long enough, I'd really like to build a guitar or three. I've built solid bodies to bolt necks onto, but I'd like to make a steel string acoustic, as well as a glue-on neck electric. I've already got more guitars than I can play, but I still want to make some.

Welcome aboard, Jim.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Tokyo Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Satko View Post
    Hi Jim. What do you suggest as to a good cigar? I am thinking of taking up a couple of vices after all this clean living and something about cigars sounds appealing.
    Cigars........... did someone mention CIGARS

Yep, I love a good cigar!

In the US you can get the Padrón 1964 Anniversary Series, they are great smokes!

I also enjoy the Camacho Corojo these too are good smokes, and NOT expensive.

We can get the Cubans here, and they are mostly way overrated, IMHO.

Sorry for the hijack

Again, welcome to the Family Jim
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

DSM, IA
    Welcome to the Family Jim.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Kansas City, Missouri
    Welcome aboard Jim!

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

hi jim!
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]