Another newbie in the midst

Jim Olson

Hey guys

Just joined, I saw that a good friend of mine, Mario, is a member here but it looks like he hasn't been on for a while. I know he's getting his shop going now so it should be interesting and a lot of fun for him. His craftsmanship is getting better and better all the time! He and I were both blessed with the ability to build stuff and we get it from our dads.

I've been working with wood in one form or another most of my life. I don't have any fancy tools, just the basics but I looooooooooove working with wood. I have built decks, sheds, even a couple of book cabinets and counter tops for the house but my most involved projects were electric guitars. I built four from scratch and enjoyed building them tremendously.

I'm married with two teens, one is in college now. My wife and I both work at our local school with her in the kitchen and me being the technology director. I don't want to bore you with too much more but I am a musician, love motorcycles, premium cigars, sports, music, so many things... and I'm back in school going for a business management degree so I don't have much spare time these days.

So far I've seen a ton of great information here, it looks like there are some very knowledgeable people.

Hi Jim. What do you suggest as to a good cigar? I am thinking of taking up a couple of vices after all this clean living and something about cigars sounds appealing.

Ooh...guitars! We want pictures!

If I could stop turning on the lathe long enough, I'd really like to build a guitar or three. I've built solid bodies to bolt necks onto, but I'd like to make a steel string acoustic, as well as a glue-on neck electric. I've already got more guitars than I can play, but I still want to make some.

Welcome aboard, Jim. :wave:

Hi Jim. What do you suggest as to a good cigar? I am thinking of taking up a couple of vices after all this clean living and something about cigars sounds appealing.

Cigars........... did someone mention CIGARS :D

stuartablett.jpg

Yep, I love a good cigar!

In the US you can get the Padrón 1964 Anniversary Series, they are great smokes!

I also enjoy the Camacho Corojo these too are good smokes, and NOT expensive.

We can get the Cubans here, and they are mostly way overrated, IMHO.

Sorry for the hijack :eek:

Again, welcome to the Family Jim :wave:

Thanks guys!

My cigar tastes are still developing and changing even after several years of enjoying them. Half of the fun is trying new ones! My favorites right now are the Perdomo Lot 23 natural and the Flor de Oliva natural (my go-to) and cameroon. One of the best I've ever had was a Torano 2004 Tribute maduro, easily the smoothest, tastiest cigar on earth. I like a diverse selection and my coolerdore is running out of room at the moment. With the pending SCHIP bill guaranteed to pass next year I'm getting what I can before taxes skyrocket.

Spanish cedar has got to be one of the best smelling woods on earth, I wish I could line my entire house with it!

:D

The guitar bodies I've made have been out of maple, Honduran mahogany, northern white ash and basswood. I liked working with all of them but it is a lot of work!!! Here are a couple of pics, they're in various stages of finish and the design is my own. I did these a couple of years before Gibson released a model that looked very similar. The pics are very low quality and the necks aren't bent like they appear...

:doh:

Attachments

• GUIT4.JPG
    GUIT4.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 8
  • GUIT3.JPG
    GUIT3.JPG
    10.8 KB · Views: 5
Welcome to the family, Jim.
We like to know a bit about our members. It helps if we know where you live. Would you please put your hometown and state in your personal profile? If yer uncomfortable with that, just state would help. You might have some neighbors here you don't even know about.