Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Swear it is like learning another language......

Angry I Swear it is like learning another language......

I'm not doing something right, I know that, I understand that I'm most likely missing something really simple, but on a Mac, how the hockeypuck do you change the size, as in the number of Kb, not the pixels of a darn picture?

I know this will amuse some, but I cannot for the life of me get one stinking picture to resize, I got the pixels down to 800x600, but the Kb size is still WAY too big.

I've been at this for over 2 freaking hours.......

DON'T tell me to "EXPORT" it, cause that is what I've done it does not compress the image, just changes the stupid size, as in larger to 800x600

This is the ONLY thing I've come on so far that is not a simple click, and "oh, that worked well" type of thing.

I'v downloaded 3 different freeware files, all say they can do this, but they don't, I keep getting the same stupid bloody number of Kb.

Laugh all you want Windoze users, this is, so far and exception to the rule with a Mac, this type of daily frustration is the norm with Windoze
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Stu, are you using iPhoto?
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

.......never mind.............
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    Stu, are you using iPhoto?
    yeah
    William Arthur Ward

Stu, using iPhoto, when I select Export, it allows two options. Full size image or resize. By clicking on resize then the boxes with the height and width allow changes, I usually start near 400 on the first box and the second changes automatically so the sizing is correct. Then I save to my desktop and name (those are options on the export screen on the right side). Then I go ahead and export. Yep I know, nothing for the KB you are looking for yet. So, then once the picture is on the desktop I highlight it then hold the apple button (usually the button on each side of the spacebar) and hit i. This gives you the information about the picture and the KB size will be displayed on that info screen. Help???
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

jon,didnt know yu were a mac ,,good guys think alike huh
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Every now and again the public schools get something right!!!
    Didn't know there was any other kind of 'puter!!!!!
    When I was writing for a animal farming magazine my editor loved that I used a Mac as that is what many mags and tv use due to its editing and user friendly capabilities.
    Jon

I use GIMP on Windows (also available for Mac), but for a jpg to have smaller size you want to increase compression. This is technically a lossy process - at some point you can compress the image into a black box. However, for screen viewing, quite a bit of compression can be done without a problem.

Using GIMP, when I save as a jpg, I get a quality slider. This is set so that 100% is no (very little?) compression and is big. For pictures I put here I use 25% quality unless the result looks wrong (which I do not think has ever happened to me). Going from 100% to 25% quality in preview may end up giving awareness that the image has changed, but usually I am not able to see what has changed and the 25% image still looks fine, just maybe a hair different somehow.

Do you have to use Mac software?
    That would be a world-class downside for me.
    I use an old PS Elements program. Justa couple of clicks does the job. No cussin' involved.