Finally got to use the new DVR XP

Alan Trout

Well I have had a chance to use the new DVR XP with my heavy duty stand. First impressions is that it is very stable, no vibration at all, and very smooth. It has great power wired on the 220V, however I never used it on standard 110V so I have no comparison. I am tickled pink with its performance. I really think the effort that I put into the stand was worthwhile. I believe it made a good lathe better.

Sorry for the poor photos. These were last chance photos that I took at my mothers. I made the squased pot for a gift to give her terminally ill neighbor. I had done a bowl for my mother and the neighbor loved it so my mother ask If I would make something for her to give as a Christmas present. This is a piece of Mora. It is little less than 8 inches in diameter and is about 2 3/4" high. The finish is about 4 coats of danish oil.

Thanks,

Alan

Attachments

• Hollow Form 1.jpg
    Hollow Form 1.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Hollowform Pic 2.jpg
    Hollowform Pic 2.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Hollowform Pic 3.jpg
    Hollowform Pic 3.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 33
Very nice piece Alan, and I too think your hard, thoughtful work on your lathe stand was well worth the effort, and I'm sure you will benefit from it for a long time to come! :thumb:

Photos came though just fine !!!!!!!!!!!

Fine work Alan , there is some skill that go's along with that . So down sell yourself short now .:thumb:........ Good job ........... Marshall :wave:

I can only saw "WOW, WOW, WOW".... I like the shape and the wood.

I haven't tried a hollow form like yours yet, but now that I'm done with shows for the year, I want to get into them... Personally, I think a good hollow form is the ultimate in wood turning. VERY nice job and I'm sure your mother's friend will treasure the piece.

Thanks all, I really like doing hollow forms. Right now I am using a midi Sorby Hollow Master to hollow with. but I have an idea for a articulated hollowing rig that I might try to build. There are so many other tools I would love to have or try but just have to wait until I get more funds :(. I am just very fortunate to have what I have and I am very thankful for my wife putting up with me. My next project except for the odd bowl. pen. vessel, is going to be to build my wife a press for dies for her enameling work that she does with silver. She really deserves something that she wants.

Merry Christmas to all

Alan

For me the biggest issue hand hollowing is catches when doing final interior scraping, and going to thin. Being relatively new turner I have destroyed pieces both ways. Of course the catches tend to rip the tenon off the piece or rip the recess dovetail out. and going through the side off course when to thin. I have not done that many but I would say my success rate is over 75% and getting better all the time as I refine technique. I am sure with a captive or articulated hollowing set up with laser would increase my success rate much more but I kind of like learning different methods so if I can't do something one way I might be able to do it another.

Thanks,

Alan

Alan,

Glad to hear you finished the stand and put your new baby to work. Great looking HF. I'm sure your Mother's neighbor loves it and your Mother is proud.

Happy holidays,